- Ph D: Health Sciences and Nursing with specialization in Social Gerontology, (2008), University of Tokyo - Tokyo, Japan
- MA: Sociology, (2000), Tribhuvan University, Department of Sociology - Kathmandu, Nepal
Ramraj Gautam is a Lecturer in the School of Nursing, College of Health Sciences, at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. Gautam holds a Ph.D. in Social Gerontology from the University of Tokyo, Japan. He is a member of the Gerontological Society of America and has published several scholarly articles related to social support, intergenerational relationships, long term care, and mental health of older adults. His current research is focused on the quality of life and adjustment process of refugee and immigrant populations.?
Gautam teaches at the undergraduate and graduate (DNP) levels. He received the UMass Lowell School of Nursing Teaching Excellence award in 2014
Awards and Honors
- Second prize: 10th AnnSual contest for scientific papers by foreign students in the Graduate school of Medicine (2008), Scholarship/Research - The University of Tokyo, Japan
- Monbukagakusho Scholarship (2004), Scholarship/Research - Japanese Government
- Gautam, R. () "Caregiving of older adults in Nepal: A context of urbanization, modernization, and globalization in a developing country,"
- Gautam, R. (2017) "New Findings in Transcultural Nursing Described by R. Gautam and Co-Researchers (Bhutanese Older Adult Refugees Recently Resettled in the United States: A Better Life With Little Sorrows).," Health & Medicine Week
- Gautam, R., Mawn, B., Beehler, S. () "Bhutanese Older Adult Refugees recently Resettled in the United States: A Better life but with Little Sorrows," Journal of Transcultural Nursing
- Gautam, R., Abdallah, L., Lee, A.J., Melillo, K.D., Remington, R. (Framingham State University), VanEtten, D. (University of Massachusetts Lowell), Gore, R. (2016) "An MCBS-Based investigation of alternative primary care models in nursing homes: Cost and utilization difference," Research in Gerontological Nursing 9:3 pp. 115-122
- Abdallah, L.M., VanEtten, D., Lee, A.J., Melillo, K.D., Remington, R., Gautam, R., Gore, R. (2015) "A MCBS-Based investigation of alternative primary care models in nursing homes: Functional ability and health status outcomes," Research in Gerontological Nursing 8:2 pp. 85 - 93
- Gautam, R., VanEtten, D. (2012) "Custodial Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Lack of Legal Relationship is a Barrier for Services," Journal of Gerontological Nursing 38:6 pp. 18-22
- Markkanen, P., Abdallah, L.M., Lee, A.J., Gautam, R. (2012) "Long-term care in the United States and Finland: policy lessons to be learned," Journal of Gerontological Nursing 38:12 pp. 16-21
- Gautam, R., Abdallah, L.M., Markkanen, P., Lee, A.J. (2012) "Long-term Care in the United States and Finland: Policy Lessons to be Learned.," Journal of Gerontological Nursing 38:12 pp. 16-21
- Gautam, R., Houde, S. (2011) "Correlates of Intergenerational Conflict of Older Nepalese Adults with their Daughters-In-Law," Gerontologist 51:
- Gautam, R., Houde, S.C. (2011) "Geriatric Depression Scale for community-dwelling older adults in Nepal," Asian Journal of Gerontology & Geriatrics 6:2 pp. 93-9
- Gautam, R., Saito, T., Crocker, S.H., Kai, I. (2011) "Social interactions and depressive symptoms among community dwelling older adults in Nepal: A synergic effect model," Archives of Gerontology & Geriatrics 53:1 pp. 24-30
- Gautam, R., Saito, T., Houde, S., Kai, I. (2010) "Relationship of Orientation to Traditional Norms with Negative Interaction of Older Adults with their Son in Nepal," Gerontologist 50:
- Gautam, R. (2009) "Intergenerational Social Support, Conflict and Mental Health of Older Adults in Nepal: Evidence of Synergic Effects," Gerontologist 49:
- Gautam, R., Saito, T., Kai, I. (2008) "Correlates of life satisfaction among older Nepalese adults living with a son.," Bioscience trends 2:5 pp. 187-192
- Gautam, R., Houde, S., Kai, I. (2007) "Public Policy. Long-term Care Insurance in Japan," Journal of gerontological nursing 33:1 pp. 7
- Healthy Aging - Living Well: Center for Gerontology Research and Partnerships, UMass Lowell, Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences - 7th Annual Community-Engaged Research Symposium, March 2018 - UMass Medical School, Worcester, MA
- Global health and aging issues - Guest speaker for the pre-med students, March 2017 - Fox Hall, UMass Lowell
- Bhutanese Older Adult Refugees: Concerns about Aging in the U.S - A symposium presentation at the Gerontological Society of America 68th Annual Scientific Meeting, November 2016 - New Orleans, LA
- An MCBS-Based Investigation of Alternative Primary Care Models in Nursing Homes: Cost and Utilization Differences - 68th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, November 2015 - Orlando, FL
Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Effect of modernization on intergenerational relationships in Nepal. Alliance for Global Sustainability (AGS) (2007), Grant - University of Tokyo, Japan
- Predictors of adult Bhutanese refugees’ mental health outcomes: A survey study in the northeastern United States (), Grant - Circle Health Ball for Community Health Initiatives, 2017 Community Health Initiatives grant
Gautam, R., Mawn, B., Ho, I.K.
- Pilot testing of a suicide prevention program for Bhutanese refugees. (), Grant - UMass Lowell Chancellor’s 2020 Challenge Grant Fund
Gautam, R., Mawn, B., Rizal, T.
- Comparative analysis of alternative primary care models in institutional long-term care residents using the Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey (2011), Grant - UMass Lowell SHE Interdisciplinary Seed Grant