UMass Lowell is a leader in graduate certificate education. In most cases, graduate certificate course credit may be applied to a master’s degree program. Most certificates are four three-credit courses.
Graduate certificate programs are designed for students holding a bachelor's degree in a field related to the certificate program. Each Graduate Certificate Program has a coordinator who can provide detailed information on content, courses and requirements.
Certificate Programs OfferedApplication Information
RequirementsRequirements to Complete a Graduate Certificate
- Certificate courses must be completed within a five year period with a minimum 3.0 grade point average and with no more than one course with a grade below B.
- Courses completed for one certificate may not be used for other certificates.
- Graduate certificates do not accept transfer credits.
- Credits earned from a graduate certificate may be used toward a related graduate degree with the approval of the graduate program coordinator. Students who complete a graduate certificate with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or better in a UMass Lowell graduate certificate program may be able to waive the GRE when applying to a related master's degree.
- Once you have completed all of the courses required for your certificate, please complete and submit the Graduate Certificate Clearance Form (pdf).
- New England Regional tuition may be available to non-Massachusetts residents who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents.
- I-20s will not be issued to those solely admitted into Graduate Certificate Programs.
- If your bachelor's degree is from outside of the U.S., you may be required to take the TOEFL examination.