UMass Lowell is a leader in graduate certificate education. In most cases, graduate certificate course credit may be applied to a master’s degree program. Most certificates consist of four three-credit courses.
Graduate certificate programs are designed for students holding a bachelor's degree in a field related to the certificate program. The application fee is $50, and no graduate record exam (GRE) is required.
- New England Regional tuition may be available to non-Massachusetts residents who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents.
- I-20s will not be issued to those solely admitted into Graduate Certificate Programs.
- If your bachelor's degree is from outside of the U.S., you may be required to take the TOEFL examination.
Requirements to Complete a Graduate Certificate
Certificate courses must be completed within a five year period with a minimum 3.0 grade point average and with no more than one course with a grade below B.Using Course Credits
Courses completed for one certificate may not be used for other certificates. Credits earned in a graduate certificate program may be applied to a graduate degree program with the approval of the graduate program coordinator. All certificates are 12 credits unless noted otherwise. All courses earn three graduate level credits unless noted otherwise.Application Process
A complete graduate certificate application package includes:
- A completed application form apply online.
- The application fee is $50.
- Your official transcript indicating a completed bachelor’s degree. Please note: If your bachelor's degree is from outside of the U.S., you may be required to take the TOEFL examination. Please see our international graduate application requirements section for more information on standardized testing.
- You may apply to more then one certificate but can only take 12 credits maximum before enrolling in an advanced degree. To complete more then one graduate certificate, you must be enrolled in an advanced degree. Please read the UMass Lowell online Graduate Catalog for more information.
An official letter of decision, sent to the address listed on the application form, will contain information on how to register for classes.
No graduate record exam (GRE) is required.
All materials received by the Office of Graduate Admissions become the property of that office and in no case will be given to the student or a third party.
Each Graduate Certificate Program has a coordinator who can provide detailed information on content, courses and requirements.