Purpose: The Event Standards Guidelines assists the University community with the planning and implementation of successful events that are consistent with University policies and procedures. University departments are encouraged to develop events that enhance a sense of community, advance the University’s mission, and honor tradition in a manner that’s fiscally responsible and cost effective. These Guidelines are intended to serve as a best practice for planning events in conjunction with the available support from the Department of Hospitality and Event Services.
Definition of University Events: (As per the Business Reimbursement Policy) University events may be campus-wide or on a smaller scale including:
- Ceremonial and official functions.
- Conferences / retreats / seminars (not as part of a sponsored grant/contract).
- Recognition/morale activities including department wide staff events. Events should be reasonable and modest in nature.
- Public relations / development/fundraising events for the purpose of soliciting or generating the goodwill of prospective donors and alumni.
- Departmental business meetings.
- Recruiting of prospective employees.
- Community engagement and research collaboration with external sponsors.
- University sponsored meetings and conferences of an external organization.