The role of internal and external accountability systems in school improvement; teachers' occupational expectations in a changing policy context
- EDD: Education Policy, Leadership, and Instructional Practice, (2009), Harvard University Graduate School of Education
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Dissertation: Professional Discretion and Instructional Mandates: A Qualitative Study of How Second-Stage Teachers Experience Autonomy in Contexts of High Stakes Accountability
- Other: Special Education, (1994), University of South Carolina - Columbia, SC
- BA: Political Science, (1991), University of South Carolina - Columbia, SC
- Charner-Laird, M., Szczesiul, S.A., Kirkpatrick, C.L., Watson, D., Gordon, P. (2016). From collegial support to critical dialogue: including new teachers’ voices in collaborative work. Professional Educator, 40(2) 1 - 17.
- Szczesiul, S.A., Nehring, J., Carey, T. (2015). Academic Task Demand in the 21st-Century, High-Stakes-Accountability School: Mapping the Journey From Poor [to Fair to Good to Great] to Excellent? Leadership and Policy in Schools, 14(4) 460-489.
- Szczesiul, S.A. (2014). The [Un]spoken Challenges of Administrator Collaboration: An Exploration of One District Leadership Team’s use of Protocols to Promote Reflection and Shared Theories of Action. Journal of Educational Change, 15(4) 411.
- Szczesiul, S.A., Huizenga, J. (2014). The Burden of Leadership: Exploring the Principal’s Role in Teacher Collaboration. Improving Schools, 17(2) 176.
- Muscott, H.S., Pomerleau, T., Szczesiul, S.A. (2009). Large-scale Implementation of Program-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports in Early Childhood Education Programs in New Hampshire. NHSA DIALOG, 12(2) 148-169.
- Moore Johnson, S., Donaldson, M., Kirkpatrick, C., Marinell, W., Steele, J., Szczesiul, S.A. (2008). Angling for Access, Bartering for Change: How Second-stage Teachers Experience Differentiated Roles in Schools. The Teachers College Record, 110(5) 1088-1114.
- Muscott, H.S., Szczesiul, S.A., Berk, B., Staub, K., Hoover, J., Perry-Chisholm, P. (2008). Creating Home-School Partnerships by Engaging Families in Schoolwide Positive Behavior Supports. Teaching Exceptional Children, 40(6) 6-14.
- Watson, D., Charner-Laird, M., Kirkpatrick, C.L., Szczesiul, S.A., Gordon, P.J. (2006). Effective Teaching/Effective Urban Teaching Grappling with Definitions, Grappling with Difference. Journal of teacher education, 57(4) 395-409.
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Redefining School Performance: Disseminating Principles and Practices for 21st Century Learning (2012), Grant - UMass-Lowell
Szczesiul, S. (Co-Principal), Nehring, J. (Principal)
- Task Agreement 10: Cooperative Agreement H1780070004 between the National Park Service, Lowell National Historical Park and UML GSE, and Tsongas Industrial History Center (2011), Grant -
Szczesiul, S. (Principal)
- Task Agreement 10: Cooperative Agreement H1780070004 between the National Park Service, Lowell National Historical Park and UML GSE, and Tsongas Industrial History Center (2010), Grant -
Szczesiul, S. (Principal)
- Second-Stage Teachers (2008), Grant - Spencer Foundation Award
- Dean's Summer Fellowship Grant (2007), Grant - Harvard University Graduate School of Education
- Dean's Diversity Innovation Fund (2004), Grant - Harvard University Graduate School of Education
- Spencer Research Training Grant (2003), Grant - Harvard University Graduate School of Education