Referrals can be made by completing the electronic referral form. The on-line form allows for 24-hour reporting; however, please note that referrals may not be handled until the next business day.
If you believe your referral requires more immediate attention, please call the Dean of Students’ Office at 978-934-2100. If there is an imminent threat of any kind, contact University Police at Ext. 44-911 or 978-934-2911.
What Happens When I Make a Referral?
- STARs developed a protocol to ensure that critical student behavior or mental health issues or incidents are addressed appropriately.
- When a referral is submitted through the STARs website, the Associate Dean of Students immediately receives the report via email. The Associate Dean evaluates each report and contacts all members of STARs to assess any resources needed and collaboratively develop an action plan with the student to reduce obstacles for their success at UMass Lowell.
- STARs members will assist the student in coordinating with existing campus resources currently being utilized and then works with the student to monitor progress.
- In the event that a student is perceived to be at risk of harm to self or others, STARs may coordinate with appropriate University offices to assist the student.
- STARs may determine that there is no need to take any further action but will monitor the situation and concern.
Are the Referrals to STARs Confidential?
STARs will take reasonable steps to maintain the privacy of those who make a referral to STARs, if requested but confidentially cannot be guaranteed. On occasion, due to the nature of the reported concern, the reporter may be evident to the student of concern, or may need to be revealed to the student of concern in order to facilitate the response.