What should I do if I am ill or injured while on campus?

You should call Health Services at 978-934-6800 and make an appointment to be seen by one of the nurse practitioners on staff.

What hours are Health Services open?

Health Services is open Monday through Thursday from 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., and Friday 9:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (except holidays, school breaks and when the University is closed).

What if I become ill when Health Services is closed?

If it is an emergency, call the campus EMTs at 978-934-4911. If the problem is urgent but does not require emergency care and you have the university’s health insurance plan, go to an urgent care center.

Circle Health Urgent Care - Dracut - 9 Loon Hill Road, Dracut, MA – Phone: 978-459-2273
Monday through Sunday - 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.

AFC Urgent Care – Chelmsford – 45 Drum Hill Rd., Chelmsford, MA – Phone: 978-446-7515
Monday through Sunday - 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Circle Health Urgent Care – Billerica – 199 Boston Rd., No. Billerica, MA - Phone: 978-323-2850
Monday through Sunday - 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.

CareWell Urgent Care – Tewksbury – 345 Main St., Tewksbury, MA – Phone: 978-851-4683
Monday through Sunday - 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.

If you have health insurance other than the university's plan, please check with your own carrier as to where you should go for after hours care.

Is there a charge for visits to Health Services or do I need a referral from a primary health care provider?

There are no fees for a visit at Health Services and, because we charge no fees, students do not need a referral. However, if the nurse practitioner does any lab work or orders an x-ray, then your insurance will be billed.

I have an HMO. Will they pay for lab work done at Health Services or any diagnostic tests ordered by the nurse practitioners?

This is a question you need to discuss with your own insurance company. Most HMOs will not authorize any diagnostic testing done outside their area or that is not ordered by your primary care physician. This can be a problem for students that are not able to get home to see their primary care physician.

As of September 2002, Massachusetts law now states that if a student will be attending college outside the coverage area of their HMO, than they must take the university’s health insurance plan. An option may be for the student to choose a primary care physician in the Lowell area. Family members do not all have to have the same PCP.

What are some of the services offered at Health Services?

We provide:

  • First Aid
  • Medical Clinic for Illnesses and Minor Injuries
  • Health Counseling
  • Laboratory Service
  • Women’s Health
  • Contraceptive Services
  • STD Testing and Treatment
Who staffs Health Services?

The staff includes nurse practitioners, registered nurses and a medical records coordinator.

What is a Nurse Practitioner?

A Nurse Practitioner is a Registered Nurse with advanced education and training in a health care specialty area. Nurse Practitioners:

  • Obtain Health Histories
  • Perform Physical Assessments and Examinations
  • Order and Interpret Diagnostic/Laboratory Studies
  • Diagnose and Treat Common Illnesses and Minor Injuries
  • Make Referrals to Specialists
  • Counsel and Teach Health and Nutrition
  • Prescribe/Manage Medication Therapy*
  • Provide Continued/Follow-Up and Coordination of Care

*Nurse Practitioners have prescribing privileges in Massachusetts.

Do I have to have school insurance to be seen at Health Services?

All matriculating students are eligible to be seen at Health Services regardless of health insurance.

Is there a fee for Health Services visits?

No. Visits are free of charge. However, any laboratory costs and / or prescriptions are the responsibility of the student and his / her insurance coverage.

Who do I ask if I have a question about school insurance?

You may send an email to: Health_Services@uml.edu.

You can also contact University Health Plans by phone at 1-800-437-6448 or visit the University Health Plans UMass Lowell webpage with questions.

If I am ill and have school insurance, do I have to be seen at Health Services?

It is recommended that you come to Health Services first, but it is not necessary.

You may go to your primary care physician or the nearest urgent care center (refer to information when Health Services is closed) or other medical providers.

Please note that you may be responsible for co-payments and other charges. Please check the Blue Cross Blue Shield Find A Doctor website for providers in network.

Can my parents find out that I have been seen Health Services?

No. There are strict confidentiality regulations which prevent health care providers from disclosing health information without the student’s written consent - even to parents.

All medical care is confidential. You have the right to expect that your medical records will be kept confidential and that access to information about you will be limited to those legitimately involved in your care. Medical information will be released only in cases of medical emergencies (including threats of harm to self or others), in response to a court ordered subpoena or to persons you specify with your written consent.

Also some communicable diseases must, by law, be reported to the State Department of Health.

I missed a class because I was sick and my professor wants a "note". What should I do?

If you are sick, you should notify your professor in the manner instructed on your course syllabus prior to missing a class.

In general, Health Services does not provide “excuse notes” for routine illnesses, injuries or mental health problems that may lead to missed classes or assignments. This policy is consistent with the recommendations of the American College Health Association. In certain circumstances, a nurse practitioner may need to recommend a student not attend class for a specified time period. For example; such circumstances would include diagnosis of a communicable disease such as influenza or a condition requiring that you leave campus for home or the hospital.

The University of Massachusetts Lowell expects that students will be honest with their professors regarding their ability to complete their academic coursework and professors are expected to work with students on issues that impact student academic success.