At UMass Lowell, you’ll receive a full computer science degree along with your specialization in cybersecurity. Your training in cybersecurity begins in the second year with Introduction to Cybersecurity and continues with courses such as Malware Analysis. Choose from elective courses including Cyber Crime Investigation, Computer & Network Security, and Cyber Defense. Gain an even broader perspective with courses from the School of Criminology and Justice Studies, including Technology and the Criminal Justice System and Introduction to Homeland Security.
UMass Lowell’s cybersecurity option follows the framework specified by the National Institute for Cybersecurity Education (NICE), including learning outcomes that will allow graduates to securely provision, analyze, protect and defend computer systems.
Under the guidance of our cybersecurity faculty, UMass Lowell students compete annually in the prestigious National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition.
- Our students apply to the university’s co-op program beginning in their second year. They have worked as co-op students at regional, national and international companies including Dell EMC, Facebook, Google, iRobot, Kronos, Liberty Mutual, Microsoft, MITRE, Oracle, Raytheon and Red Hat.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Cybersecurity Option, are qualified for many careers, including:
- CS at UML has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Research by the National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security.
- Undergraduates work side-by-side with graduate students and world-class faculty in our research labs.
- We have close ties with regional and national high-tech companies that employ our current students and alumni.
- Our research is funded by the National Science Foundation, the Department of Defense, the National Security Agency, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, and other government and industry sources.
- Cyber data scientist
- Enterprise Architect
- Security analyst
- Security architect
- Security engineer
- Storage security engineer
Our graduates have joined and co-founded start-up companies regionally and across the country, including in Silicon Valley. They work in organizations of all sizes and in all industries, including:
- Analog Devices
- Arista Networks
- BAE Systems
- Curriculum Associates
- Dell EMC
The Computer Science Department is a proud steward of the UMass Lowell Cyber Range, a dedicated facility of 3,171 square feet that houses high-end workstations, a conference room, a lecture theater, two offices and a storage room.The storage room serves as both a gateway to Cyber Range and a Cyber Range Security Datacenter. It hosts a Exxact TensorEX server, a Dell PowerEdge server, a Palo Alto firewall and two rack mounted Extreme Networks switches. The department runs the opensource hypervisor XCP-ng and open-source management tool Xen Orchestra to provision virtual machines to users, who work both in person at the facility and remotely.At the Cyber Range, students practice cybersecurity attacks and defenses in a live, yet safe, environment. It’s used for class meetings, cybersecurity club gatherings and research projects.
- Liberty Mutual
- Lincoln Laboratories
- Red Hat
- Schneider Electric
- UKG (Ultimate Kronos Group)