The experiences listed below are pre-approved for the Distinction in Global Engagement and can be completed at any time after you have signed up for the River Hawk Experience Distinction (RHED) program.
- Study Abroad: Study Abroad in partnership with the UMass Lowell (UML) Office of Study Abroad & International Experiences for at least one semester, summer or winter session.
- International Internship: Complete an international internship in partnership with the UMass Lowell Office of Study Abroad & International Experiences for at least one semester, summer or winter session.
- Faculty-Led Experience: If you participated in a faculty-led experience through the UMass Lowell Office of Study Abroad & International Experiences, you may use this as both an approved experience and an approved course. You must write a reflection for both to receive credit towards this distinction.
- Pair-Up Program: Participate in Pair-up, a multicultural friendship program, for 1 year.
- Student Representative in Study Abroad Office: Work closely with Study Abroad Team to help students choose an international experience and guide them through the process.
- Class Project: An individual or group project specifically related to the Distinction completed during a UMass Lowell class ( that is NOT being used as a course requirement for the Distinction).
- Faculty-led Thesis Research: Complete your project/paper/experience as part of a team, with a partner, or as a solo endeavor with the support of your mentor or faculty member.
Option: Students may propose a custom-designed experience:
- Submitted by student to reflect their individual experiences
- Must meet at least half of the Distinction's learning outcomes
- Individual request approval is managed by the RHED committee members