The following outlines the different post-award stages, steps taken, and roles and responsibilities when an award includes cost sharing.
|Approval / Acceptance / Setup||Sponsor||Approves the proposal, issues the award including cost share commitment, and notifies UMass Lowell Research Administration.|
|GCA||Reviews and confirms the cost share.
Notifies Department/PI budget has been set up.
Notes the Cost share commitment in PS (amount/detail)
|PI||Reviews/commits** to the cost share.
**It is the PI's responsibility to ensure that the cost sharing pledge on the grant or contract is correct and that it is met on schedule.
|Throughout the Life of a Grant||PI||At the frequency required by the contract, but no less than quarterly, review the cost share activity.
Document and report to SFRA.
|SFRA||Works with PI to document the activity and track the details for reporting.|
|Closing||SFRA||Closes budget once all expenditures have posted.
Reports to the sponsor as required.
|PI/SFRA||Ensures the cost share has been collected and reported to sponsor.|
Changes to mandatory cost sharing commitments must be reviewed and approved by UMass Lowell Research Administration, and often by the sponsor, as well.
- PI - refers to the principal investigator and/or a staff member with delegated authority
- Sponsor - the organization or person providing the grant/contract
- ORA - Office of Research Administration (Authorized Official)
- GCA - Grant and Contract Administrator
- SFRA - Senior Financial Research Administrator