What is the OAPF?
- Encourage open access publishing and expand the number of UML authors publishing in OA locations, by supporting faculty, students, and staff who may wish to publish in open-access journals but lack other sources of funding for OA publishing support.
- Increase access to and use of the published OA research in UML classes to reduce costs of required reading materials.
- Additional consideration will be given to research that:
- engages with topics in sustainability, defined broadly across all disciplines, and/or
- engages students as research collaborators.
- Scholarly peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Chapters or contributions to peer-reviewed scholarly books (not textbooks).
- Scholarly peer-reviewed books.
- The applicant is a current UML faculty member, instructor, post-doctoral researcher, staff member, or graduate student. Emeritus faculty members are eligible if the research was completed while they were still affiliated with UML.
- The applicant must be the primary or corresponding author.
- The manuscript must have been accepted and proof of acceptance must be provided with the application.
- Authors that have alternative funding available through grants are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Manuscripts must be deposited with the University Library for preservation in the institutional repository.
- The manuscript must be a contribution to a book or a scholarly article.
- The journal or book must be fully open access and listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) / Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB). If the journal or book is too new to be listed in either directory, the publication must be completely DOAJ / DOAB compliant.
- The publication must allow authors to retain copyright.
- The publication must allow author to use Creative Commons (or equivalent) licenses at no additional cost.
Administration of Award
The Office of Sustainability administers the program funding and will transfer funds to the successful applicant’s department. Each department can arrange the payment to the OA journal in whatever method they choose. Each application will identify the department financial staff member to coordinate funding. The deadline for invoice submission for fund transfer is the last day of May.