Buyer-Supplier Relationships, Emerging Markets, CSR, Retailing
- Ph D: Retailing, (2007), Michigan State University - East Lansing, MI
Supporting Area: International Business; Statistics
Ying Huang is a Professor in the Department of Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Innovation and she serves as International Business Coordinator in the Manning School of Business at UMass Lowell. During the past years, she has taught both undergraduate and graduate courses, including Marketing Principles, Identifying Marketing Opportunities, Global Marketing, Retailing, International Marketing (MBA) and a Ph.D. B2B Marketing Seminar. Dr. Huang's research focuses on buyer-supplier relationships, supply chain management, and emerging markets. Her recent research projects are in the areas of corporate social responsibility and sustainability and, more recently, she is studying companies’ coping strategies with supply chain disruption. Her research has been published in top business journals such as the Financial Times 50.
Prior to joining UML, Dr. Huang was an Assistant Professor of Retailing at the University of Arizona where she taught Retail Strategy and a Ph.D. seminar on Interorganizational Issues, received the Bart Cardon Early Career Faculty Teaching Award and Case Project Funds from Target Corp., and won the 2010 Aspire2Retail Inter-Collegiate Retail Challenge, a national case competition organized by American Express and the National Retail Federation Foundation.
Before starting her academic career, Dr. Huang had six years of industry experience in China and the United States, working as a sales manager for an import & export company in Shanghai, as a marketing representative for DuPont China, and later as an engineer for a manufacturer in South Carolina. In addition, she worked as a consultant for the National Retail Federation (NRF) and helped several US companies enter the China market.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Teaching Excellence Award (2020) - UML
- Emerald Citations of Excellence (2016), Scholarship/Research - Emerald Publishing
- Journal of Operations Management/Jack Meredith Best Paper Award (2013) - Academy of Management (AOM)
- Bart Cardon Early Career Faculty Teaching Award (2011) - University of Arizona
- Best Paper Award in International Marketing (2006) - Academy of International Business (AIB)
- Temple/AIB Best Paper Award, Finalist (2006) - Academy of International Business (AIB)
- ShaoChangLee Graduate Best Paper Award (2006) - Michigan State University
- Best Paper Award, Runner Up (2003) - Academy of Marketing Science (AMS)/ American Collegiate Retailing Association (ACRA)
- Huang, Y., Surface, D., Zhang, C. (2022). Corporate social responsibility and sustainability practices in B2B markets: A review and research agenda . Industrial Marketing Management, 106(October) 219-239.
- Zhu, R., Sun, S.L., Huang, Y. (2021). Fair trade coffee and inclusive globalization: A metamorphosis of institutional entrepreneurship. Multinational Business Review, 29(2) 189-209.
- Kaffash, S., Azizi, R., Huang, Y., Zhu, J. (2020). A Survey of Data Envelopment Analysis Applications in the Insurance Industry 1993-2018 . European Journal of Operational Research, 284 (3) 801–813.
- Hannigan, E., Huang, Y. (2019). Home Depot: Opportunities and Challenges in China (pp. 496-499). Retailing Management (10e) by Levy, Weitz and Grewal
- Du, J., Chen, Y., Huang, Y. (2018). A Modified Malmquist-Luenberger Productivity Index: Assessing Environmental Productivity Performance in China. European Journal of Operational Research, 269(1) 171–187.
- Yang, F., Wei, F., Li, Y., Huang, Y., Chen, Y. (2018). Expected efficiency based on directional distance function in data envelopment analysis. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 125 33–45.
- Liu, Y., Huang, Y., Fan, H. (2018). Influence tactics, relational contexts, and key account managers’ performance. Industrial Marketing Management, 73(August) 220–231.
- Zhang, C., Li, J.J., Huang, Y. (2017). Sustaining relationships after opportunism and misunderstanding: The role of formalization and socialization. Marketing Letters, 28(2) 305–319.
- Liu, Y., Luo, Y., Huang, Y., Yang, Q. (2017). A diagnostic model of private control and collective control in buyer-supplier relationships. Industrial Marketing Management, 63(May)((May)) 116-128.
- Huang, Y., Luo, Y., Liu, Y., Yang, Q. (2016). An investigation of interpersonal ties in interorganizational exchanges in emerging markets: A boundary-spanning perspective. Journal of Management, 42(6) 1557–1587.
- Choi, Y., Huang, Y., Sternquist, B., Johnston, W., Johnston, W. (2015). The effects of the salesperson’s characteristics on buyer-seller relationships. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 30(5).
- Huang, Y., Lotz, S.L., Bon, G.O. (2014). An Investigation of Consumer Power in the Process of Purchase Decisions. Journal of Research for Consumers, (25) 122-157.
- Luo, Y., Huang, Y., Wang, S.L. (2012). Guanxi and Organizational Performance: A Meta-Analysis. Management and Organization Review, 8(1) 139-172.
- Liu, Y., Huang, Y., Luo, Y.d., Zhao, Y. (2012). How does justice matter in achieving buyer-supplier relationship performance? Journal of Operations Management, 30(5) 355-367.
- Huang, Y., Sternquist, B., Zhang, C., Calantone, R. (2011). A mixed-method study of the effects of guanxi between salespersons and buyers on retailer-supplier relationships in China. Journal of Marketing Channels, 18(3) 189-215.
- Luo, Y., Liu, Y.d., Zhang, L., Huang, Y. (2011). A taxonomy of control mechanisms and effects on channel cooperation in China. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 39(2) 307-326.
- Chen, Z., Huang, Y., Sternquist, B. (2011). Guanxi practice and Chinese buyer-supplier relationships: The buyer’s perspective. Industrial Marketing Management, 40(4) 569-580.
- Chung, J., Huang, Y., Jin, B., Sternquist, B. (2011). The impact of market orientation on Chinese retailers’ channel relationships. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 26(1) 14-25.
- Sternquist, B., Huang, Y., Chen, Z. (2010). Predicting market orientation: Chinese retailers in a transitional economy. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 38(5) 360-378.
- Huang, Y., Huddleston, P. (2009). Retailer premium own-brands: Creating customer loyalty through own-brand products advantage. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 37(11) 975-992.
- Hult, G.T., Ketchen, D.J., Griffith, D.A., Finnegan, C.A., Gonzalez-Padron, T., Harmancioglu, N., Huang, Y., Talay, M.B., Cavusgil, S.T. (2008). Data equivalence in cross-cultural international business research: assessment and guidelines. Journal of International Business Studies, 39(6) 1027-1044.
- Huang, Y., Sternquist, B. (2007). Retailers’ foreign market entry decisions: An institutional perspective. International Business Review, 16(5) 613-629.
- - AMA/ACRA Triennial conference, 2012 - Seattle, WA
- - International Conference of Supply Chain Management, 2011 - Beijing, China
- - Workshop on meta-analysis, 2011 - Guangzhou, China
- - Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Conference, 2010 - Montreal, Canada
- - Academy of International Business (AIB) Annual Conference, 2009 - San Diego, CA
- - American Marketing Association (AMA) Summer Educator Conference, 2009 - Chicago, IL
- - Special workshop on structural equation modeling, National Retailing Conference, 2009 - New Orleans, LA
- - Triennial Academy of Marketing Science (AMS)/ American Collegiate Retailing Association (ACRA) National Retailing Conference, 2009 - New Orleans, LA
- - American Collegiate Retailing Association (ACRA) Spring Conference, 2008 - Durango, CO