Applying for an Initial I-20/DS-2019 from UMass Lowell (UML)
Step 1: Please make sure to confirm admission by paying your enrollment deposit through the Admissions Portal.
Step 2: Claim your UMass Lowell credentials:
- Undergraduate Students - Review instructions to claim your credentials.
- Graduate Students - Complete the UMass Lowell Email Address Lookup Form to learn your UMass Lowell student account and follow the steps to change your account password. (Note: your mailbox will become available to you when registration for the semester opens).
Step 3: Apply for your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 visa document through the UMass VIP Portal. A step-by-step guide for the application process can be found in our instructions. To access the portal, you will need your UMass Lowell credentials.
- Username - FirstName_LastName@student.uml.edu
- Password - Your UML credentials password
If you are currently studying at UMass Lowell or another US institution on the F-1 or J-1 student status, please review the additional sections below for information on changing your academic level or transferring your SEVIS record to UMass Lowell.
Deadline to Apply for Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 from ISSO
The below ISSO deadlines are to allow adequate time to receive a visa document in order to apply for a visa at a US embassy or consulate:
- August 1 - Fall Semester Admits
- December 15 - Spring Semester Admits
Do not make travel arrangements to enter the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status until you have received the Form I-20 or DS-2019 and obtained the respective visa in your passport. Please note that students are not legally permitted to study on “B” status.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at ISSO@uml.edu or 978-934-2383. We look forward to welcoming you to campus!