Airport Transportation for New International Students
The International Students & Scholars Office at UMass Lowell is happy to provide FREE airport transportation to NEW incoming international students.
To be eligible for this service, students must meet the following requirements:
- New international student on UMass Lowell J-1 or F-1 visa sponsorship
- Needs airport transportation pick up from Boston Logan International Airport in Boston, to Lowell, Mass.
- Arriving to Lowell within the approved airport pick up dates (please note that the ISSO will not be able to pay for transportation for students arriving outside of these dates):
- Fall 2023 Pick Up Dates: August 7 - September 19
- Have an address in Lowell where you will be dropped off
- Complete the Airport Transportation Request e-form at least 1 week prior to arrival. New F-1 and J-1 students will receive an email from the ISSO with the link to this e-form upon the issuance of their Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. If you are a new student and did not receive this link, please email ISSO@uml.edu.
Lowell Address Necessary - Please note that you will need to have the Lowell address for where you will be dropped off. It is imperative that you arrive with a place to stay, especially for those arriving in the spring semester, as it is cold during the winter months. All students must arrange housing accommodations prior to arrival, even if temporary.
Alternative Drop-Off Location Protocol - If you are being dropped off at a friend's house, make sure that they know what time you are arriving. Have their cell phone number to call if they do not answer the door. If they do not answer the door or phone, you may request that the driver drop you off at the Student Center (University Crossing) (if during normal business hours), the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center (ICC), or another local hotel. You will then be responsible for relocating your bags to your apartment/friend's house, etc. You will also be responsible for any costs incurred at the hotel.
While we are happy to offer this service and absorb the cost, we will not be able to reimburse any student who chooses to be picked up by an alternative company, or other means of transportation.
Alternative Airport Transportation Options
Logan International Airport in Boston is the closest international airport to Lowell. There are several ways by which you may get to Lowell from Boston Logan International Airport.
The most convenient way to get from Logan Airport to Lowell is to follow the instructions above and arrange for airport pick up via the ISSO.
HOWEVER, if for any reason you could not arrange pick up via the ISSO, below is a listing of several alternatives to get from Logan International Airport in Boston to Lowell. Please note that these are not officially endorsed by the University, and all students should plan their transportation before arriving to the U.S.
The methods are listed in order of convenience but please note that they vary significantly in cost AND you are responsible for any costs associated with transportation you arrange yourself.
- Flight Line: 1-800-245-2525
- JT's Airport Shuttle Service: 1-978-934-9200
- TWC Airport Limo: 1-800-223-2325
Taxis are available directly outside of the terminals at virtually all hours/days of the week. You can also attempt to arrange a taxi pick up in advance. A taxi ride from Logan Airport to Lowell could cost over $100.
Note that while it is possible to get to Lowell with public transit we do not advise this for incoming students. The trip by public transit involves multiple vehicle changes and is difficult with large amounts of luggage.
If you do choose to take public transit, we recommend you take a taxi from the airport to North Station in Boston. From North Station take the "Commuter Rail" to Lowell. After arriving in Lowell you may take another taxi to get to your final destination.
For more information on public transportation in Massachusetts, please visit the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) website.
Note: Make sure that you have enough small bills in U.S. currency ($1, $5, $10, $20) to pay for your transportation or incidental travel needs. Most van services will accept a credit card but for some services or travel needs you may need cash.