Community-based participatory research; social movements and communication; environmental and climate sociology; and public sociology
Community-based participatory research; Social movements and communication; Environmental and climate sociology; Public sociology.
Recent research projects have focused on how unions, domestic violence groups and community-based organizations integrate strategic communications into broader change strategies.
- Ph.D.: Sociology, (1992), Boston College - Boston, MA
Dissertation/Thesis Title:Prime Time Activism: Media Strategies of Grassroots Social Movements
- Other: Bilingual Education, (1981), Boston University, School of Education - Boston, MA
Dissertation/Thesis Title:"African-American History Curriculum for Asian Students of English as a Second Language"
- BA: History, (1971), Harvard University - Cambridge, MA
- Ryan, C. (2019). Beyond Prime Time Activism: Communication Activism and Social Change (first pp. 266). Routledge
- Ryan, C. (2016). A Bridge Is Not Just a Metaphor: Building Sustainable Community-University Partnerships through Service Learning Projects. Service Sociology and Academic Engagement in Social Problems, 121.
- Ryan, C., Brown, K.F. (2015). To act in concert : environmental communication from a social movement lens (pp. 114). Routledge
- Ryan, C., Jeffreys, K., Ryczek, J., Diaz, J. (2014). Building Public Will: The Battle for Affordable—and Supportive—Housing. Journal of Poverty, 18(3) 335 - 354.
- Ryan, C. (2014). A Bridge is not Just a Metaphor: Building Sustainable Community-university Partnerships through Service Learning Projects. Ashgate
- A Bridge Is Not A Metaphor. - Society for the Study of Social Problems Annual Meeting thematic panel on Service Sociology, August 2011 - Las Vegas, Nevada
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Communities Creating Healthy Environments (2008), -
Ryan, C. (Principal)
- Communities Creating Healthy Environments, Praxis Project and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (Youth Obesity Initiative) (2008), -
- Healey Public Service Grant (2007), Grant -
- ASA Fund for the Advancement of the Discipline (2002), - American Sociological Association