First-Year Experience, Entrepreneurship Education, Homeschooling, Non-profit Management and Marketing
Professor Finch's current research interests include First-Year Experience, Entrepreneurship Education, Peer Mentors, Homeschooling and Nonprofits/Social Enterprise Opportunities.
- Ed.D: Leadership in Schooling, (2012), University of Massachusetts Lowell - Lowell, MA
Dissertation/Thesis Title: What are the Experiences of Homeschool Mothers?
- MBA: Concentration in Finance, (2005), University of Massachusetts Lowell - Lowell, MA
- BSBA, (2003), University of Massachusetts Lowell - Lowell, MA
- AS: Optometric Technology, (1976), Fisher College - Boston, MA
Deborah Finch is an Associate Teaching Professor in the Manning School of Business. Her journey to teaching in higher education included homeschooling her four children until they went to college, and returning to college herself to earn an MBA and an Ed. D. Her active community involvement includes volunteering and serving on local nonprofit boards. Dr. Finch believes the best way a student can get an education is to take advantage of opportunities in experiential education, service learning, and study abroad experiences. She sees her role as a guide and facilitator, with the hope of helping her students become lifelong learners.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Circle of Distinction Recognition Honors (2020), Leadership - Omicron Delta Kappa Leaders Society
- Outstanding Board Member of the Year Recipient (2019), Service, Community - Nonprofit Alliance of Greater Lowell:
- Living Learning Community Legacy Award (2019), Service, University - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Jacqueline F. Moloney Honors College Founder Award (2018), Service, University - Honors College
- 2018 Manning Prize for Excellence in Teaching Award (2018), Teaching - Robert and Donna Manning
- Kudos Recognition (2018), Service, University - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Student Government Association Exceeding Excellence Award for the Manning School of Business (2013), Teaching - University of Massachusetts Lowell Student Government Association
- Outstanding Graduate Student of the Year Award (2005) - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Finch, D. (2020). Wake Up Call: Lessons from the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge for Nonprofit Social Media. New Degree Press
- Ciuchta, M., Finch, D. (2019). The Mediating Role of Self-Efficacy on Entrepreneurial Intentions. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 11 June 2019.
- Mehta, A., Yoon, E., Kulkarni, N., Finch, D. (2016). An exploratory study of entrepreneurship education in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment. Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 19(2) 120-138.
- Book Creators: Teaching entrepreneurship through authorship - United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship , January 2021
- Presentation: Pushing Past Personal Boundaries: Helping Honors Students Embrace Innovation & Entrepreneurship - USASBE, January 2020 - New Orleans, LA
- Tips to Improve Student Access by Creating an Inclusive Learning Environment - UMass Accessibility Conference, July 2019 - Lowell, MA
- 30 Days to Engagement: Utilizing Experiential Activities and a Novel to Engage Students. - Deshpande Symposium, May 2019 - UMass Lowell Inn and Conference Center, Lowell, MA
- In My Family, $500 is Rent! - Celebration of Scholarship, April 2019 - UMass Lowell Inn and Conference Center, Lowell, MA
- How to Utilize BizCafe in your Course - Interpretive Teaching Webinar, April 2019 - online
- Creating Problem-Solving Entrepreneurial Thinkers on Campus and Beyond - USASBE: United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, January 2019 - St. Pete Beach, FL
- Acknowledging How External Factors Impact Our Students: A Holistic Approach to Teaching - Faculty Symposium, November 2018 - UMass Lowell Inn and Conference Center
- Using Study-Abroad Programs to Inspire Entrepreneurship and Global Citizenship - Deshpande Symposium, June 2018 - Lowell, MA
- Teaching NVIVO in the Classroom: A Faculty/Student Presentation, 2012 - Online
- Teach for America: A Nonprofit Perspective - University Honors Difference Maker Program, 2012 - Lowell, MA
- Teaching first-Year Students: Lessons Learned and New Directions - Conversation Dinner, 2010 - Lowell, MA