Health psychology, psychophysiology, victimization & women's health
Health psychology, women's health, and Asian American Studies.
Dr. Ho's research focuses on health disparities among marginalized women, the relationship between interpersonal stress (both traumatic and non-traumatic) and health, and cultural competence in healthcare delivery.
- Other: Pediatric Pain Psychology (80% clinical, 20% research), (2006), Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center - Cincinnati, OH
- Ph D: Health Psychology, (2004), University of Louisville - Louisville, KY
Supporting Area: *clinical internship: Medical Psychology specialty track, University of Florida (Health Science Center)
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Emotional and Cognitive Processing of Interpersonal Stress among Women with Victimization Histories
- MA: Clinical Psychology, (1999), University of Colorado at Colorado Springs - Colorado Springs, CO
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Injury Prevention Practice among Parents of preschool-Aged Children
- BA: Psychology, (1996), University of Kentucky - Lexington, KY
Ivy Ho completed her clinical psychology internship at University of Florida Health Sciences Center (2003-04), and previously held a Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center from 2004-06.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Teaching Award, Department of Psychology, Teaching - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Division on Women Award (2011) - Asian American Psychological Association Annual Convention
- Young Investigator's Travel Award (2004) - American Pain Society
- Graduate Fellowship Award (1999) - University of Louisville
- Psi Chi, International Honors Society in Psychology (1994) - Psi Chi
- Ho, I.K., Lawrence, J.S. (). The Role of Social Cognition in Medical Decision Making with Asian American Patients. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities.
- Ho, I.K., Dinh, K.T., Bellefontaine, S.M., Irving, A.L. (2018). Cultural Adaptation and Sexual Harassment in the Lives of Asian American Women. Women & Therapy, 41(3/4) 281 - 297.
- Dinh, K.T., Ho, I.K., Yuying, T. (2018). Introduction to Special Issue: Trauma and Well-Being among Asian American Women. Women & Therapy, 41(3/4) 189 - 202.
- Ho, I.K., Dinh, K.T., Bellefontaine, S., Irving, A. (). The relationship of cultural orientation to sexual harassment, sexual harassment attitudes, and sexual objectification among a sample of Asian women. Women & Therapy.
- Ho, I.K., Dinh, K.T., Yuying, T. (2018). Trauma and Well-Being among Asian American Women. [Special Issue]. Women & Therapy, 41(3/4) 183 - 379.
- Ejaife, O., Ho, I.K. (2017). Healthcare experiences of a Black lesbian in the United States. Journal of Health Psychology.
- Smith, S., (). Primary care providers’ perceptions of young Cambodian American female patients. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health.
- Kaskan, E.R., Ho, I.K. (2016). Microaggressions and Female Athletes. Sex Roles, 74(7-8) 275 - 287.
- Ho, I.K., Dinh, K.T., Smith, S.A. (2015). Intimate Partner Violence and Physical Health Outcomes among Southeast Asian American Women. Journal of Health Psychology.
- Dinh, K.T., HOLMBERG, M.D., Ho, I.K., Haynes, M.C. (2014). The Relationship of Prejudicial Attitudes to Psychological, Social, and Physical Well-being within a Sample of College Students in the United States. Journal of cultural diversity, 21(2) 56-66.
- Ho, I.K., Dinh, K.T., Bellefontaine, S.A., Irving, A.L. (2012). Sexual Harassment and Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms among Asian and White Women. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment and Trauma, 21((1)) 95-113.
- Ho, I.K., Dinh, K.T. (2011). Cervical Cancer Screening among Southeast Asian American Women. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 13((1)) 49-60.
- Ho, I.K., Dinh, K.T. (2011). Erratum: Cervical Cancer Screening among Southeast Asian American Women . Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 13((2)) 413.
- Ho, I.K. (2010). Self-understanding among Chinese International Women Students. (34:3 pp. 427 - 428). Psychology of Women Quarterly
- Ho, I.K., Dinh, K.T., Zhan, L. (2009). Mentoring Asian Students toward the Health Professions. Asian American Voices: Engaging, Empowering, Enabling (pp. 77-90).
- Dinh, K.T., Weinstein, T.L., Kim, S., Ho, I.K. (2008). Acculturative and psychological predictors of academic-related outcomes among Cambodian American high school students. Journal of Southeast Asian American Education and Advancement, 3 1-23.
- Dinh, K.T., Weinstein, T.L., Kim, S.Y., Ho, I.K. (2008). Acculturative and Psychosocial Predictors of Academic-related Outcomes among Cambodian American High School Students. Journal of Southeast Asian American Education & Advancement, 3 1-23.
- Ho, I.K., Goldschneider, K., Kashikar-Zuck, S., Katogal, U., Jones, B. (2008). Healthcare Utilization and Indirect Burden Among Families of Pediatric Patients with Chronic Pain. Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain, 16 155-164.
- Newton, T.L., Ho, I.K. (2008). Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms and Emotional Experience in Women: Emotion Occurrence, Intensity, and Variability in the Natural Environment. Journal of Psychological Trauma, 7 276-297.
- Newton, T.L., Parker, B.C., Ho, I.K. (2005). Ambulatory Cardiovascular Functioning in Healthy Postmenopausal Women with Victimization Histories. Biological psychology, 70 121-130.
- Sephton, S., Studts, J.L., Weissbecker, I., Lynch, G., Hoover, K., Ho, I.K., McGuffin, S., Salmon, P. (2003). Biological and Psychological Factors Contributing to Memory Impairment in Fibromyalgia Syndrome. Health Psychology, 22 592-597.
- Berry, D.T., Cimino, C.R., Chong, N.K., Lavelle, S.N., Ho, I.K., Morse, T.L. (2001). MMPI-2 Fake-bad Scales: An Attempted Cross-validation of Proposed Cutting Scores for Outpatients. Journal of personality assessment, 76 296-314.
- The States of Southeast Asian Communities in New England. - The 2014 States of Southeast Asian American Studies, October 2014 - Minneapolis, MN
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Dietary Quality and Acculturation among 1.5 and 2nd Generation Cambodian Immigrants living in the Greater Lowell Area (2017), Grant -
Noel, S.E., Bigornia, S.J., Ho, I.K.
- Conference Planning Grant: First Inaugural Convention of AAPI Feminist Psychologists (2018), Grant - Society for the Psychology of Women
Dinh, K.T. (Co-Principal), Ho, I.K. (Co-Principal)
- Predictors of adult Bhutanese refugees’ mental health outcomes: A survey study in the northeastern United States (), Grant - Circle Health Ball for Community Health Initiatives, 2017 Community Health Initiatives grant
Gautam, R., Mawn, B., Ho, I.K.
- Understanding Triumphs and Challenges of Immigration and Adaptation: An Innovative Model for Economic and Social Integration Success (2014), Grant - UMass President’s Office 2014 Creative Economy Initiatives Fund
Dinh, K.T. (Principal), Ho, I.K. (Co-Principal), McCabe, A. (Co-Principal), Sladkova, J. (Co-Principal)
- Healthcare Providers’ Perceptions of Cambodian American Female Patients in Lowell, MA (2014), Grant - UMass Boston Institute for Asian American Studies, Fellowship Program
- Collaborative Research: Institutional Networks and Continuous Learning to UnDo E (2012), Grant -
Ho, I.K. (Co-Principal)
- Collaborative Research: Institutional Networks and Continuous Learning to UnDo effects of Micro-inequities on Women (INCLUDE-Women) (2012), Grant - National Science Foundation
- "Do you understand English?" Exploring Physiological & Psychological Responses to Identity Denial among U.S. born Asians (2011), Grant - Research, Scholarship and Creative Work Seed Grants
- Contraception among Southeast Asian Americans: An Exploration of Factors and Themes (2010), Grant - research, Scholarship and Creative Work Seed Grant
- Contraception among Southeast Asian Americans: An Exploration of Factors and Themes (2010), Grant - Research, Scholarship, and Creative Work Seed Grants
Ho, I.K. (Principal), Dinh, K.T. (Co-Principal)
- Sexual Harassment among Asian Female Students in Higher Education (2009), Grant - Council on Research and Scholarship
- Recruitment and Retention of Cambodian Americans Majoring in Psychology (2007), Grant - American Psychological Association
- Psychophysiological Correlates of Stress (2007), Grant - School of Health and Environment
- Sexual Harassment and Interpersonal Functioning (2007), Grant - Scholarly Research Forum