ExpertiseNineteenth and Twentieth Century American Literature, Southern Literature, American Poetry
American Literature of the 19th and 20th Centuries; Southern Literature; American Poetry. Southern Literary and Cultural Studies; Critical Race Studies; Construction or Regional Identities; Ethics and Politics of Cultural Memory.
- Ph.D., English, University of South Carolina
- M.A., English, John Carroll University
- B.A., English, John Carroll University
Anthony Szczesiul's research interests include American poetry, Nineteenth and Twentieth century American literature, and Southern literary and cultural studies. He is the author of "The Southern Hospitality Myth: Ethics, Politics, Race, and American Memory" (University of Georgia Press, 2017) and "Racial Politics and Robert Penn Warren’s Poetry" (University Press of Florida, 2002), which received a "Choice Outstanding Academic Title" award in 2003. His articles have appeared in journals such as "American Transcendental Quarterly, Walt Whitman Quarterly Review, Mississippi Quarterly, Style, and European Journal of American Culture". He has served on the Executive Board of the Society for the Study of Southern Literature and has chaired the society’s C. Hugh Holman Book Award Committee. He is also a member of the editorial board for "Mississippi Quarterly: The Journal of Southern Cultures," and he served as English Department Chair from 2011-2017.
- Szczesiul, A. (2017). The Southern Hospitality Myth: Ethics, Politics, Race, and American Memory .
- Szczesiul, A. (2011). Reconstructing Southern Hospitality. University Press of Mississippi
- Szczesiul, A. (2007). Re-mapping southern hospitality: Discourse, ethics, politics. European Journal of American Culture, 26(2) 127-141.
- Szczesiul, A. (2002). Racial Politics and Robert Penn Warren's Poetry (University Press of Florida, 2002).
- Szczesiul, A. (2002). The conservative aesthetic of Warren's early poetry. Style, 36(2).
- Szczesiul, A. (2001). Language Barrier: Robert Penn Warren at the ‘Inevitable Frontier’ of Postmodernism. An Annual of Robert Penn Warren Studies, 1 (2001) 1-25.
- Szczesiul, A. (1998). The immolation of influence: Aesthetic conflict in Robert Penn Warren's poetry. Mississippi Quarterly, 52(1).
- Szczesiul, A. (1996). The Canonization of Tom and Eva: Catholic Hagiography and Uncle Ton's Cabin. ATQ-American Transcendetal Quarterly, 10 59-72.
- Szczesiul, A. (1994). Robert Penn Warren's Audubon: Vision and Revision. Mississippi Quarterly , 47 (Winter 1993-94) 3-14.
- Szczesiul, A. (1993). The maturing vision of Walt Whitman's 1871 version of Drum-Taps. Walt Whitman quarterly review, 10(3) 127-141.
- Szczesiul, A., Library, T.C. (1992). Walt Whitman: A Centenary Exhibition.