Composition and Literature
Rhetoric, research, and composition, especially the exploration of current approaches to the discipline of teaching writing to first-year students and English majors; First Generation Literature and studies; British Literature early nineteenth and twentieth century with an emphasis on cultural relevance to the twenty-first century; Central European Literature especially writers from behind the former iron curtain, and theatre arts.
- MA: Rhetoric and Composition, (1997), Purdue University - Calumet, IN
Supporting Area: British Literature
- BA: English and Secondary Education, (1992), Concordia University - Mequon, WI
As a first generation college student, my drive is to intentionally support the potential success of underrepresented student groups such as my fellow first-generation college students to provide a path for an opportunity for a "seat at the table."
I am a member of Alpha Alpha Alpha, or Tri-Alpha Honor Society, whose goal is to recognize high achieving first-generation college students while cultivating a dynamic and diverse network for members to reach their goals and highest potential. Inductees in this society not only have encompassed the mission but have shown commitment to the core values of academic excellence, service, integrity, diversity & leadership.
Much of my service work is connected to the River Hawks Scholars Academy including teaching a section of College Writing reserved exclusively for students in the program, serving as a student mentor, and running the River Hawks Scholars Academy writing awards contests.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Open Educational Resource (OER) (2022), Award Recipient, MASSPIRG University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Open Educational Resource (OER) (2021), Award Recipient, MASSPIRG University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Award for Teaching Excellence (2018), Teaching - English Department, University of Massachusetts Lowell