Industrial Engineering, Human Factors and Ergonomics, Usability Engineering, Design and Emotion, and Engineering Education. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice issues in engineering education and healthcare. Human factors and ergonomics.
- Ph.D. - Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering - The Pennsylvania State University (2010)
- M.S. - Industrial and Management Engineering - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (2006)
- B.S. - Industrial Engineering - University of Puerto Rico - Mayaguez (2003)
Teaching faculty, passionate about learning, teaching, and student success. First-generation college student born and raised in Puerto Rico. My goal is to support each student in their journey and to help them reach their goals by helping them achieve their best potential.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Excellence in Teaching Award – Norm Asbjornson College of Engineeirng – May 2020.
- Montanan State University Presidential Excellence in Teaching Award – January 2021.
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship: August 2008 – December 2010.
- General Electric Foundation Fellowship: August 2006 – May 2006.
- Graham Endowed Fellowship: August 2006 – May 2006.
- William & Barbara Keefauver Scholarship in Engineering – August 2006 – May 2006.
- GEM Fellowship – May 2005.
- AT&T Laboratories Fellowship for Underrepresented Minorities: August 2005 – May 2008.
- Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professorate (AGEP) Fellowship: August 2004 – May 2005.
- Dorsey, R., Claudio, D., Petersen, P., and Velazquez, M. Identifying Service Gaps Between Patients and Providers in a Native American Outpatient Clinic. Submitted for review to Ethnicity & Health.
- Moyce, S., Velazquez Perez, M., Claudio, D., Thompson, S., Metcalf, M., Aghbashian, E., Vanderwood, K., and Sisson, N. Exploring a rural Latino community’s perception of the COVID-19 pandemic. Ethnicity & Health.
- Sisson, N., Moyce, S., Velazquez Perez, M., Claudio, D., Thompson, S., Aghbashian, E., and Vanderwood, K. Engaging Latinos in an academic-community partnership in Montana, USA through a health screening event. American Journal of Health Education.
- Schell, W., Sobek, D. & Velazquez, M.A. (2016). Educating Tomorrow’s Engineer: Adding Flexibility Through Student-Defined Electives. Quality Approaches in Higher Education, 7, 12-22.
- Ward, N., Velazquez, M., Mueller, J. & Ye, J. (2013). Response interference under near-concurrent presentation of safety and non-safety information. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 21, 253-266.
- Claudio, D., Velazquez, M.A., Bravo-Llerena, W., Okudan, G.E., & Freivalds, A. (2010). An Empirical Study on the Perceived Usefulness of Wireless Technologies to Improve Patient Care in the Emergency Department. Submitted for review to IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering.
- Velazquez, M., Claudio, D., & Ravindran, A.R. (2010). Experiments in Multiple Criteria Selection Problems with Multiple Decision Makers. International Journal of Operational Research, 7(4), 413-428.