Thermal Fluid, Transport Phenomenon, Energy Storage and Conversion, Experiment and Model Coupling, Multiphysics/Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, Reduced Order Model, First-Principles Calculations
Specifically, Dr. Jin's research interests include: Multi-physics modeling of fuel cells, solar cells, redox batteries, lithium-ion batteries, zinc-air batteries for mechanical, thermal, and electrical applied fields;
First-principles based design and optimization of electrocatalysts and photocatalysts;
Microstructure modeling and design of functional materials, such as CO2 separation membrane, bifunctional oxygen electrode, all solid lithium ion battery;
Characterizing material electrochemical properties by Impedance spectroscopy analysis, Rotating disk electrode and Electric conduction relaxation techniques;
Mathematical algorithms and Model order reduction for solving physics-based lithium-ion battery model in online control of electric vehicles;
System-level efficiency and economic analysis of energy storage and conversion systems;
Application of optimization methods in parameter estimation, such as Trust Region, LM, Genetic Algorithm.
- Ph D: Mechanical Engineering, (2014), University of South Carolina - Columbia
- MS: Refrigeration and Cryogenic Engineering, (2007), University of Science & Technology, Beijing - China
- BS: Thermal and Dynamic Engineering, (2004), University of Science & Technology, Beijing - China
Xinfang Jin, Ph.D., joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Lowell as an Assistant Professor in the Fall of 2018. She earned her doctorate from the University of South Carolina in Mechanical Engineering, where she also had served as a postdoctoral associate from 2014-2017 and then a research assistant professor from 2017-2018.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Graduate Award (2007) - University of Science & Technology
- Outstanding Graduate Award (2004) - University of Science & Technology
- Excellent Student Award of Beijing (2003)
- First-Class of National Scholarship (2003) - People's Republic of China
- Outstanding Student Award (2003) - University of Science & Technology
- First-Class of National Scholarship (2002) - People's Republic of China
- Outstanding Student Award (2002) - University of Science & Technology
- First-Class of People's Scholarship (2001) - People's Republic of China
- Outstanding Student Award (2001) - University of Science & Technology
- Wei, Z., Salehi, A., Lin, G., Hu, J., Jin, X., Agar, E., Liu, F. (2020). Probing Li-ion concentration in an operating lithium ion battery using in situ Raman spectroscopy. Journal of Power Sources, 449 227361.
- Nourani, M., Dennison, C.R., Jin, X., Liu, F., Agar, E. (2019). Elucidating Effects of Faradaic Imbalance on Vanadium Redox Flow Battery Performance: Experimental Characterization. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 166(15) A3844-A3851.
- Jin, X., Yang, T., Huang, K. (2018). Defect structure, thermodynamic and transport properties of SrCo 0.9 Nb 0.1 O 2.5+delta: A combined experimental and defect chemistry approach. Solid State Ionics, 320 159--171.
- Fang, J., Jin, X., Huang, K. (2018). Life cycle analysis of a combined CO 2 capture and conversion membrane reactor. Journal of Membrane Science, 549 142--150.
- Jin, X., Mattick, V., Huang, K. (2018). Oxygen Reduction Reaction of Perovskite Electrocatalysts in Alkaline Media at a Rotating Disk Electrode: Mechanism Analysis (1 pp. 19--19).
- Jin, X., Ku, A., Verma, A., Ohara, B., Huang, K., Singh, S. (2018). The Performance of Syngas-Fueled SOFCs Predicted by a Reduced Order Model (ROM): Temperature and Fuel Composition Effects. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 165(10) F786--F798.
- Mattick, V.F., Jin, X., Yang, T., White, R.E., Huang, K. (2018). Unraveling Oxygen Electrocatalysis Mechanisms on a Thin-Film Oxygen-Deficient Perovskite La0. 6Sr0. 4CoO3-delta. ACS Applied Energy Materials, 1(8) 3937--3946.
- Wang, J., Jin, X., Huang, K. (2017). A new defect chemistry model for Nb-doped SrCoO 2.5+delta: the role of oxygen interstitials and delocalized-to-localized electron holes. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 246 97--106.
- Guo, M., Jin, X., White, R.E. (2017). An Adaptive Reduced-Order-Modeling Approach for Simulating Real-Time Performances of Li-Ion Battery Systems. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 164(14) A3602--A3613.
- Jin, X., Guo, M., White, R.E., Huang, K. (2017). Computational Analysis of Dynamic Tubular SOFC with a Built-in Chemical Iron Bed. ECS Transactions, 78(1) 2683--2698.
- Jin, X., Wang, J., Huang, K. (2017). Defect chemistry and transport properties of SrCo1- xTaxO2. 5+delta as a promising oxygen electrocatalyst for reversible solid oxide fuel cells. Solid State Ionics, 309 48--57.
- Guo, M., Jin, X., White, R.E. (2017). Nonlinear State-Variable Method for Solving Physics-Based Li-Ion Cell Model with High-Frequency Inputs. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 164(11) E3001--E3015.
- Jin, X., Guo, M., White, R.E., Huang, K. (2017). Understanding Power Enhancement of SOFC by Built-in Chemical Iron Bed: A Computational Approach. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 164(11) E3054--E3062.
- Wang, J., Jiang, L., Xiong, X., Zhang, C., Jin, X., Lei, L., Huang, K. (2016). A broad stability investigation of Nb-doped SrCoO2. 5+delta as a reversible oxygen electrode for intermediate-temperature solid oxide fuel cells. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 163(8) F891--F898.
- Zhang, C., Ji, C., Wang, W., Schmidt, D., Jin, X., Lemmon, J.P., Huang, K. (2016). A dynamic solid oxide fuel cell empowered by the built-in iron-bed solid fuel. Energy \& Environmental Science, 9(12) 3746--3753.
- Jin, X., Wang, J., Jiang, L., White, R.E., Huang, K. (2016). A Finite Length Cylinder Model for Mixed Oxide-Ion and Electron Conducting Cathodes Suited for Intermediate-Temperature Solid Oxide Fuel Cells. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 163(6) F548--F563.
- Jin, X., Huang, K. (2016). Multiphysics modeling of solid-oxide iron--air redox battery: analysis and optimization of operation and performance parameters. Science Bulletin, 1--10.
- Jin, X., White, R.E., Huang, K. (2016). Simulating Charge Transport in Solid Oxide Mixed Ionic and Electronic Conductors: Nernst-Planck Theory vs Modified Fick's Law. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 163(13) A2702--A2719.
- Jiang, L., Wang, J., Xiong, X., Jin, X., Pei, Q., Huang, K. (2016). Thermal and electrical stability of Sr0. 9Y0. 1CoO2. 5+delta as a promising cathode for intermediate-temperature solid oxide fuel cells. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 163(5) F330--F335.
- Jin, X., Zhao, X., Huang, K. (2015). A Computational Study of the Effects of Charging Parameters on the Performance and Reversibility of a New Type SOFC Storage Battery (pp. 1735).
- Jin, X., Zhao, X., White, R., Huang, K. (2015). Analysis of Performance Limiting Factors in Solid-Oxide Iron-Air Redox Battery Operated with Different Redox Couples (68:1 pp. 251-268). ECS Transactions
- Micro Modeling Study of Cathode/Electrolyte Interfacial Stresses for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells - 222nd ECS Meeting, Fuel Cell Degradation, October 2012 - Honolulu, Hawaii
- Simulation Analysis on Regulation Methods for 99.9% Oxygen Production With an Metallurgical ASU - International Congress of Refrigeration, 2007 - Beijing, China