Located on North Campus
- M.S., Counseling & Educational Psychology – Concentration in College Student Development & Counseling, Northeastern University
- B.S., Psychology, University of Massachusetts Amherst
As Coordinator of Retention Initiatives, Cooper is responsible for project management of the Starfish Early Alert Initiative, which includes the technical configurations of the Starfish platform, training faculty on how to fill out and submit surveys, and training advisors on how to access the flags and kudos that pertain to their students and outreach messaging to students.
He is one of the CLASS advisors who meets with students on walk-in or appointment basis, to assist them with course registration, changing/adding majors or minors, study skills and time management coaching, SAP appeals, and thoughtful referrals to any other University offices and supports.
Cooper is also one of the CLASS advisors who presents at new student Orientations, first-year seminars, and other meetings of UML faculty, staff, or students to inform them about CLASS services and advising and student success topics.
Selected Awards and Honors
- 2018 Hobsons Advances Education finalist (Starfish)
- 2017 Pillars of Excellence nominee – Peer Tutor Training
- 2016 UMass Lowell - Pillars of Excellence Award – Living and Learning Communities for Transfer Students
- 2007 Mass. College Personnel Association – New Professional of the Year
- 2018 – Hobson Institute – Early Alert Best Practices. Panel
- 2018 – NETA Annual Conference – "Bridging the Gap-New Models to Support Transfer Students" Presentation
- 2017 – UMass Innovation Conference - "Academic Support Initiatives for the Retention of At-Risk First Year Students" Presentation
- 2016 - NETA Annual Conference – "Transfer Students Are the Rule, Not the Exception" Presentation
- 2016 – NACADA Region I Conference - "Now What? Advising Students Turned Away from Selective Majors" Presentation
- 2015 – NACADA Region I Conference - "Expanding the Village: Early Alert as a Campus-Wide Retention Initiative" Presentation
- 2014 – NACADA Region I Conference – "Keeping the Beat: Early Alert System comes to UMass Lowell" Presentation
- National Academic Advising Association
- New England Transfer Association
- 2015-present Instructor, Values and Creative Thinking (3 credits)
- 10+ years of academic advising and student support experience at four local institutions (including UML)