Transfer Students, Academic Advising, Tutoring Services, Academic Coaching
- M.Ed. Education Administration, University of Massachusetts, Lowell
- B.S. Business Administration, Dual Concentrations in Management & Marketing, University of Massachusetts, Lowell
As Assistant Director of the Centers for Learning, Advising & Student Success, Borchers is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Centers for Learning South Campus location. The Centers for Learning covers Academic Services such as; Advising, Tutoring, Academic Coaching, Testing Center, and Graduate School Preparation Workshops.
Additionally, since 2017, Borchers has served as Co-Chair on the UMass Lowell Training and Development Task Force, under the University Council of Advisors, which focuses on training staff and faculty on best practices for academic advising, professional development, and updating advising tools on UMass Lowell websites. Borchers is also UMass Lowell’s representative on the New England Peer Tutoring Association’s (NEPTA) Steering Committee, which gives tutors across New England a platform to learn from other institution’s tutors, and Borchers also serves as the lead for the UMass Lowell Major/Minor Exploration Expo, partnering with all academic colleges to ease the change of major or addition of majors/minors at UMass Lowell.
In addition, since 2008, Borchers continues to serve as head coach for Pinkerton Academy’s Special Olympics basketball team in Derry, NH, which has captured several gold medals in the NH State Special Olympic Regional games.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Pillars of Excellence Award Winner for Transformational Education; Strategies for Success (2017)
- Pillars of Excellence Award Winner for Transformational Education; Living-Learning (2016)
- New Advisor of the Year; For UML’s Transfer Year Experience Living-Learning Community (2016)
- Recipient of Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges Honors, National Who’s Who Program (2012)
- UMass Lowell Program of the Year for “Special Spirit @ UML” (2010-2011)
- UMass Lowell Shining Star Award – In Appreciation of Star Performance, Residence Life (2010-2011)
- The Advising Blueprint (2017-2022), Across all Academic Colleges, Faculty & Staff at The University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Transfer Shock (2019) - NETA Annual Conference - University of Massachusetts, Centers for Learning and the Honors College
- Bridging the Gap-New Models to Support Transfer Students (2018) - NETA Annual Conference - University of Massachusetts, Centers for Learning & Academic Support Services
- Academic Support Initiatives for the Retention of At-Risk First Year Students (2017) - UMass Innovation Conference - University of Massachusetts, Centers for Learning & Academic Support Services
- Equality vs. Equity: Considering Special Needs Students in Residential Life (2014) - NASPA Region 1 - University of New Hampshire, Residential Life
- FYREs: The Live-in Academic Mentor (2013) - Parent/Family Programs - University of Massachusetts Lowell, Office of Residence Life