The University of Massachusetts Lowell offers several degree programs and options in which students can study various aspects of terrorism, counter terrorism, and other topics related to national and international security. These programs offer an enriching educational experience for students pursuing a broad range of careers in the private and public sector including local, state and federal government agencies, defense contractors, research firms and advanced technology companies. These programs are affiliated with the Center for for Terrorism and Security Studies (CTSS) whose faculty are involved in teaching courses and supervising doctoral dissertations. Students are admitted into this program from a wide array of professional backgrounds. Our Bachelor's, Master's and Graduate Certificate programs are offered online as well as on-campus.
School of Criminology & Justice Studies
- Ph.D. in Criminology and Criminal Justice, in which students can take a variety of courses on terrorism, homeland security, and other relevant topics.
- NEW: Ph.D. Option in Terrorism Studies, in which a student takes advanced topical and methodology courses and will focus their dissertation research on a topic related to terrorism or counter terrorism.
- M.A. in Criminology & Justice Studies with optional courses on terrorism, homeland security, and WMD.
- B.S. in Criminology & Justice Studies with optional courses on terrorism, homeland security, and WMD.
- Graduate Certificate in Security Studies can be earned by taking classes on-campus or online.
- Please note: The Bachelor's, Certificate, and Master's degrees listed here can be completed entirely online via the UMass Online and Continuing Education website.
- Ph.D. in Global Studies program, offered by the College of Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, includes a concentration in Security and Human Rights.
- M.A. in Security Studies program with concentrations in homeland defense, industrial and economic security, or international security.
- M.S. in Security Studies program with concentrations in CBRNE security, critical infrastructure protection, or cybersecurity.
- Please note: The M.A. and M.S. degrees in Security Studies can be completed entirely online via the UMass Online and Continuing Education website