The Tripathy Graduate Fellowship will be given to an outstanding UMass Lowell graduate student whose research is in the various fields of materials science and/or material engineering and who is in the final stages of finishing a doctoral program. The student must meet the following criteria:
- Student must have a 3.50 or higher G.P.A.
- Student must have completed doctoral exams in a timely manner from one of the sciences or engineering at UMass Lowell.
- Student must have completed all doctoral requirements except thesis submission.
- Student must have demonstrated research abilities through peer-reviewed publications and presentations.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a completed Tripathy Summer Fellowship Application along with copies of transcripts and a resume, which includes publications, papers presented and patents pending or awarded. The application form may be downloaded (Application Form). Also submit a one-page statement on your vision of your role in the future for your chosen field of research. Two letters of recommendation, including one from the thesis advisor, are needed. The thesis advisor must certify completion of the Ph.D. program.
All application materials must be submitted by April 20 to the Dean of Sciences in Olney 524.
The Selection Committee, chaired by , Jayant Kumar and Ramaswamy Nagarajan, Co-Directors of the Center for Advanced Materials (CAM). The committee includes Ashok Cholli, Dhimiter Bello, and Susan Thomson-Tripathy, as a representative of the Tripathy family. The selection process will begin on April 20 and will be completed by May 15. During this period the committee will make a list of finalists and will interview each finalist. The announcement of award will be made on May 15.
The past recipients of this summer award are:
- 2017 - Graduate: Siddarth Dev and Samurdhi Amameth Wijesundera
- Undergraduate: Patrick John McLaughlin
- 2016 - Graduate: Zarif Farhana and Olga Kononova
- 2015 - Graduate: Hardeep Singh and Junwei Su
- Undergraduate: Patrick Facedola
- 2014 - Surangi Jayawardena
- 2013 - Joshna Chittigori
- 2012 - Sethumadhavan Ravichandran, Soumitra Satapathi
- 2011 - Abhishek Kumar, JiSun Im
- 2010 - Ryan Bouldin
- 2009 - Jagdeep Singh
- 2008 - Rahul Panchal, Rahul Tyagi
- 2007 - Yanping Wang, Dingsong Feng
- 2006 - Amol Chendekar, Subhalakshmi Nagarajan
- 2005 - Sarika Verma, Xonghua Zhou
- 2004 - Bon Cheol Ku, Xiaodong Wu
- 2003 - Xian Yan Wang, Heejoon Ahn
Important Information Summary
- Application Form (pdf)
- Announcement of Award: Feb. 28 of the awarding year
- Deadline to Submit Completed Application: April 20 of the awarding year
- Submit all the Application Materials to: Office of the Dean of Sciences, Olney 524, 978-934-3840
- Selection and Interview Process: April 20 - May 15 of the awarding year
- Announcement of Fellow(s): May 15 of the awarding year
- Fellowship Period: May 15- Aug. 31
- Number of Fellowships: Up to two per year
- Fellowship Stipend: $7500.00
For additional information, please contact the Center for Advanced Materials at: 978-934-3695.