Pediatric Physical Therapy, Neurologic Physical Therapy.
- Sc.D: Therapeutic Studies, (1986), Boston University - Boston, MA
- MS: Physical Therapy, (1975), Texas Woman's University - Texas
- BA: Psychology, (1970), Merrimack College - Merrimack
Linda Kahn-D'Angelo, PT, Sc.D. was named Professor Emerita in 2019 after serving as faculty in the Department of Physical Therapy and Kinesiology at the University of Massachusetts Lowell for 38 years. Dr. Kahn-D'Angelo completed her Sc.D. in Therapeutic Studies from Boston University, her M.S. in Physical Therapy from Texas Women’s University, and also earned a Graduate Certificate in Sleep and Sleep Disorders and Disease from UMass Lowell. Dr. Kahn-D'Angelo has worked clinically in Early Intervention and pediatric home care environments where she specialized in facilitating the early development of motor control. During her time as faculty at UMass Lowell, Dr. Kahn-D'Angelo worked to develop the BS, MS, tDPT, and DPT programs in Physical Therapy. Dr. Kahn-D'Angelo published 14 pediatric related peer-reviewed articles and several book chapters throughout her career including, “The Special Care Nursery”, in Campbell’s Physical Therapy for Children” (1-4 eds.). Dr. Kahn-D'Angelo was also a teaching mentor for several new faculty members and mentored a Visiting Faculty member from Brazil. She remains active within the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy and Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy, and continues to teach as an adjunct instructor for the Pediatrics and Neuroscience courses within the graduate Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program at UMass Lowell.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Departmental Teaching Award (2003), Teaching - University of Massachusetts Lowell, MA
- Dean's College Professional Development Award (1985), Service, Professional - ------
- Koren, A., Reece, S.M., Kahn-Dangelo, L., Medeiros, D. (2010). Parental Information and Behaviors and Provider Practices Related to Tummy Time and Back to Sleep. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 24(4) 222-230.
- Murphy, D.A., Kahn-D’Angelo, L., Gleason, J. (2008). The effect of hippotherapy on functional outcomes for children with disabilities: a pilot study. Pediatric Physical Therapy, 20(3) 264-270.
- Abelow, C.S., Hachem, C., Kouripines, E., Wall-Lazaris, J., Kahn-D’Angelo, L. (1998). The effects of sedative music on heart rate and perceived mood of fifth grade children during developmental tasks. 1998
- Kahn-Dangelo, L., Palisano, R.J. (1990). Comparison of motor development in small for gestational age term and normal birthweight infants at 27 to 29 months of age. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 10(3) 19-31.
- Kahn-D’Angelo, L., Palisano, R.J. (1990). Comparison of motor development in small for gestational age term and normal birthweight infants at 27 to 29 months of age. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 10(3) 19-31.
- Kahn-D’Angelo, L. (1990). Serious Head Injury During the First Year of Life. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 9(4) 49.
- Kahn-D’Angelo, L. (1989). The reciprocation-gait orthosis for children with myelodysplasia. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 9(2) 107-117.
- Kahn-D’Angelo, L. (1988). Habituation of the flexion reflex in small for gestational age, term (SGAT) infants and normal birthweight infants. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 8(2) 25-42.
- Kahn-Dangelo, L. (1987). Infant habituation: A review of the literature. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 7(1) 41-55.
- Kahn-Dangelo, L. (1987). Is the small for gestational age, term infant at risk for developmental delay? Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 7(3) 69-73.
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Development and Pilot Testing of Supervised Tummy Time Educational-DVD for Parents of Young Infants (), Grant - Eta Omega chapter of Sigma Theta Tau
- Labor Shortage Initiative Grant to increase the enrollment of minorities in graduate physical therapy program (), Grant - Massachusetts Department of Medical Security
- Public Service Grant: Development and Pilot Testing of Supervised Tummy Time (STTEP). (2009), Grant - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- SHE Creativity Grant Funding for statistical support to help analyze the data collected about infant positioning, infant weight, family health behaviors and the possible association with infant obesity (2009), Grant - School of Health and Environment Creativity fund award.
- Faculty and Student Research Grant for Advanced MS student project on efficacy of Therapeutic Riding (1999), Grant - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Faculty Development Grant to support training as a Developmental Therapist in the Special Care Nursery (1997), Grant - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Physical Therapy Clinical Training in Pediatrics (1991), Grant - AHEC Special Initiative with Greater Lawrence VNA
- Conference on the Management of Developmentally Delayed Infants and Children with AIDS, Cytomegalovirus and Hepatitis B for Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists (1990), Grant - New England AIDS Education and Training Grant
- Seed Grant: Comparison of Gross and Fine Motor Skills of Small for Gestational Age-Term Infants with Normal Birthweight Infants at Three Years of Age (1987), Grant - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Student Research Grant: Habituation of Motor Reflexes in Infants (1983), Grant - Foundation for Physical Therapy
- An Exploratory Study on Parental Behavior Related to Infant Positioning, Activity, and Subsequent Growth Patterns (2006), Grant - School of Health and Environment Seed Grant
- Physical Therapy Student Clinical Experiences in an Early Intervention Program (1988), Grant - Area Health Education Center Special Initiative Grant
- Maternal and Child Health Traineeship Grant Award (1982), Grant - National Institute of Health