ExpertisePolicing, Police Accountability, Youth/Gang Violence Reduction Strategies
Policing, Criminal Justice, Criminal Careers, Crime Analysis, Quantitative Research Methods, Evaluative Research.
Police Accountability, Police Misconduct, Police Performance, Police Innovations, Early Intervention Systems.
- Ph D: Criminal Justice, (2006), University at Albany - ALBANY
- BA: Criminal Justice, (1998), State University of New York at Plattsburgh - PLATTSBURGH, NY
Chris Harris joined the faculty as an Assistant Professor in 2006, having recently finished his dissertation at the University at Albany. His research interests are primarily in police performance and public perceptions of police, as well as evaluation research of various police initiatives. He has been involved in research with various police departments in New York State, including serving as the principal research analyst for Project Safe Neighborhoods in Syracuse, as well as an analyst for the Crime Analysis and Problem Solving partnership between the Albany police department and the University at Albany’s School of Criminal Justice.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Criminal Justice Teaching Award
- Harris, C.J., Chierus, K., Edson, T.C. (2015). The Prevalence and Content of Police Discipline Matrices. Policing, 38(4) 788-804.
- Harris, C.J., Worden, R.E. (2014). The Effect of Sanctions on Police Misconduct. Crime & Delinquency, 60(8) 1258-1288.
- Harris, C.J., Worden, R.E., McLean, S.J. (2014). Risk Assessment and Risk Management in Policing. Policing, 37(2) 239.
- Harris, C.J. (2014). The Onset of Police Misconduct. Policing, 37(2) 285.
- Worden, R.E., Kim, M., Harris, C.J., Pratte, M.A., Dorn, S.E., Hyland, S.S. (2013). Intervention with Problem Officers: An Outcome Evaluation of an EIS Intervention. Criminal Justice and Behavior, 40(4) 409-437.
- Harris, C.J. (2012). Residual Career Patterns of Police Misconduct. Journal of Criminal Justice, 40(4) 323-332.
- Harris, C.J. (2011). Problem Behaviors in Later Portions of Officers' Careers. Policing, 34(1) 135-152.
- Harris, C.J. (2011). The Relationship between Career Pathways of Internal And Citizen Complaints. Police Quarterly, 14(2) 142-165.
- Harris, C.J. (2010). Longitudinal Patterns of Internally Generated Complaints Filed Against a Large Cohort of Police Officers. Policing & Society, 20(4) 401-415.
- Harris, C.J. (2010). Pathways of Police Misconduct. Carolina Academic Press
- Harris, C.J. (2010). Problem Officers? Analyzing Problem Behavior Patterns from a Large Cohort. Journal of Criminal Justice, 38(2) 216-225.
- Harris, C.J. (2009). Exploring the Relationship Between Experience and Problem Behaviors: A Longitudinal Analysis of Officers from a Large Cohort. Police Quarterly, 12(2) 192-213.
- Harris, C.J. (2009). Police Use of Improper Force: A Systematic Review of the Evidence. Victims & Offenders, 4(1) 25.
- Harris, C.J. (2007). Police and Soft Technology: How Information Technology Contributes to Police Decision Making [From The New Technology of Crime, Law and Social Control, P 153-183, 2007, James M. Byrne and Donald J. Rebovich, eds. – See NCJ-218026]. Police and Soft Technology: How Information Technology Contributes to Police Decision Making From The New Technology of Crime, Law and Social Control, P 153-183, 2007, James M.Byrne and Donald J.Rebovich, eds.– See NCJ-218026].
- Harris, C.J., Pratte, M., Schlief, S., Worden, R., Dorn, S. (2005). Intervening with Problem Officers: An Evaluation of an Early Warning System Intervention (pp. N.PAG). Conference Papers – American Society of Criminology
- ÒDeterring police misconduct: A longitudinal analysis of personnel complaints.Ó - Crime & Delinquency,
- ÒIntervention with problem officers. An impact evaluation of one agencyÕs EISÓ. With Robert E. Worden, MoonSun Kim, Christopher Harris , Mary McGreevy, Shelagh Catlin, and Shelley Schlief. - Criminal Justice & Behavior.,
- "The Residual Careers of Police Problem Behaviors" - Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminal Justice, 2011
- "Perception of Campus Safety and Actual Victimizations: Results from UMass Lowell's Campus Safety Survey" Presented with Alison Cares - Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminology, 2010
- "Results from the UML Campus Safety Survey" Presented with Alison Cares - Faculty Research Series, 2009 - Lowell, Massachusetts
- "The Smoke of Police Misconduct vs. the Exhaust of Routine Policing" Presented with Robert E. Worden - Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminology, 2008
- "Examining the Impact of Sanctions from Personnel Complaints on the Prevalence of Future Police Misconduct" Presented with Robert E. Worden - Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminology, 2007
- "The Convergence & Divergence of Internal and Citizen Compliant Trajectories" - The Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminology, 2007
- "Police Misconduct Careers" - Annual Meeting of the American Society of Criminiology, 2005
- "Intervening with Problem Officers" Presented with Robert Worden, Mary Pratte, Shelley Schlief, and Shelagn Dorn - Annual Meeting of the AMerican Society of Criminology, 2005
- "Problem Officers, Problem Behavior, and Early Warning Signs" Presented with Robert E. Worden, Mary Pratte, Shelagh Catlin and Shelley Schlief - Annual Meeting of the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, 2003
- "Contacts with the Police and Satisfaction with the Police" with Robert E. Worden and Shelagh Catlin - Annual Meeting of the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, 2002
- "Police Actions and Citizen Satisfaction: Objective and Subjective Indicators of Police Performance" Presented with Robert E. Worden - Annual Meeting of the Academy of Criminal Justice Studies, 2001
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Consistancy in Discipline:The Use of Discipline Matrices in U.S. Police Departments (), Grant -
Harris, C. (Principal)
- Does Arrest Deter? An Impact of Arrest on Subsequent Offending Cases of Intimate Partner Violence (), Grant -
Harris, C. (Co-Principal), Hirschell, D. (Co-Principal)
- Evaluating License Plate Reader Technology in Massachusetts-Phase 1 (), Grant -
Harris, C. (Co-Principal), Nichols, L. (Co-Principal), Pattavina, A. (Co-Principal)
- Police Early Intervention Systems: A Comparative Process and Outcome Evaluation (), Grant - National Institute of Justice
- Safe & Secure Youth Initiative for the City of Lawrence, MA (), Grant - Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, Massachusetts
- Principal Investigator, UMass Lowell Campus Safety and Well Being Survey (2007), Grant - UMass President's Office and UML Police Department
- Police Early Intervention Systems: The State of the Art (2014), Contract - NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF JUSTICE
Harris, C.J. (Principal)
- Local Action Research Partnership with Lawrence & Haverhill/Methuen (2013), Contract - U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Harris, C.J. (Principal)
- Research Partner, Local Action Research Partner for the Shannon Community Safety Initiative (2011), Grant - Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security
- Local Action Research Partner Application for the Shannon Community Safety Initia (2011), Grant -
Harris, C.J. (Principal)