ExpertiseAdvanced manufacturing processes, brain-machine interface, soft and hard tissue cutting processes, biomedical design & manufacturing, additive manufacturing for custom healthcare.
- Ph D: Mechanical Engineering, (2017), University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Cylindrical Machining Workpiece Temperature and Bore Cylindricity
- MS: Mechanical Engineering, (2014), University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI
- BS: Mechanical Engineering, (2013), Zhejiang University - Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Lei Chen, Ph.D., joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Lowell as an Assistant Professor in the Spring of 2021. He is also an adjunct assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry at University of Michigan Medical School. Before joining UMass Lowell, he was a Research Investigator in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. His research closely collaborates with automotive and aerospace industry to generate theoretical and fundamental understandings of advanced manufacturing processes through innovative monitoring methods, numerical modelling, and data analysis. Chen has also established broad collaborations with healthcare and neuroscience community to apply advanced manufacturing technologies inspired by industry to improve the safety, quality, cost, efficiency, and speed of healthcare service as well as to advance the design, fabrication, and implantation of the next generation cellular-scale brain machine interfaces.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Best Paper Finalist Award (2018) - Symposium on Research in Collaboration with Manufacturing USA Institutes at the MSEC 2018 and NAMRC 46, Advanced Manufacturing Program Office, NIST
- NAMRC Student Research Presentation Award (runner-up) (2016) - SME North American Manufacturing Research Conference
- Provincial Outstanding Graduate (2013) - Dept. of Education, Zhejiang Province, China
- L. Chen, J. Hartner, T. Dong, A. Li, B. Watson, A. Shih, 2021, "Flexible High-Resolution Force and Dimpling Measurement System for Pia and Dura Penetration during In Vivo Microelectrode Insertion into Rat Brain," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (In Press). doi: 10.1109/TBME.2021.3070781.
- R. Chisena, L. Chen, A. Shih, 2021, "Finite Element Composite Simplification Modeling and Design of the Material Extrusion Wave Infill for Thin-Walled Structure," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 196, 106276. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2021.106276.
- A. Li, Y. Liu, J. Plott, L. Chen, J. Montgomery, A. Shih, 2021, "Multi-Bevel Needle Design Enabling Accurate Insertion in Biopsy for Cancer Diagnosis", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 68(5), 1477-1486. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2021.3054922.
- T. Dong, L. Chen, A. Shih, 2020, "Laser Sharpening of Carbon Fiber Microelectrode Arrays for Brain Recording", Journal of Micro and Nano-Manufacturing, 8(4), 041013. doi: 10.1115/1.4049780.
- A. Li, B. Ketut, L. Chen, A. Shih, 2020, "Mosquito Proboscis-Inspired Needle Insertion to Reduce Tissue Deformation and Organ Displacement," Scientific Reports, 10(1), 1-14. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-68596-w. PMCID: PMC7376018.
- A. Li, J. Plott, L. Chen, J. Montgomery, A. Shih, 2020, "Needle Deflection and Tissue Sampling Length in Needle Biopsy," Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 104, 103632. doi: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2020.103632. PMCID: PMC7078072.
- S. Mahajan, J. K. Hermann, H. W. Bedell, J. A. Sharkins, L. Chen, K. Chen, S. M. Meade, C. S. Smith, J. Rayyan, H. Feng, Y. Kim, M. A. Schiefer, D. M. Taylor, J. R. Capadona, E. S. Ereifej, 2020, "Towards Standardization of Electrophysiology and Computational Tissue Strain in Rodent Intracortical Microelectrode Models", Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 8, 416. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2020.00416. PMCID: PMC7225268.
- J. Woods, E. Welle, L. Chen, J. Richie, P. Patel, C. Chestek, "Bending Properties of Materials for Nerve Interfaces", accepted by The 15th IEEE Int'l Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered & Molecular Systems (IEEE-NEMS 2020), San Diego, CA, September 27-30, 2020. doi: 10.1109/NEMS50311.2020.9265629.
- L. Chen, J. Plott, M. Hildner, L. Mei, A. Shih, J. Wensman, B. Kelly, "Computer-Aided Design and Additive Manufacturing of Custom Silicone Prosthetic Finger", ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio, June 22-26, 2020. doi: 10.1115/MSEC2020-8420.
- T. Dong, L. Chen, A. Shih, "Laser Sharpening of Carbon Fiber Microelectrode Arrays for Brain Recording", ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio, June 22-26, 2020. doi: 10.1115/MSEC2020-8479.
- A. Shih, L. Chen, N. Webster, A. Hogg, 2020, "Manufacturing and Society - A Freshman Introduction to Engineering Course with Manufacturing and Social Science Partnership", Procedia Manufacturing, 48, 1126-1135. doi: 10.1016/j.promfg.2020.05.154.
- Y. Luo, L. Chen, A. Shih, 2019, "Hollow Notched K-Wires for Bone Drilling with Through-Tool Cooling," Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 37(11), 2297-2306. doi: 10.1002/jor.24419. PMID: 31332811.
- Y. Luo, L. Chen, F. Finney, D. Park, P. Talusan, J. Holmes, A. Shih, 2019, "Evaluation of Heat Generation in Unidirectional versus Oscillatory Modes During K-wire Insertion in Bone," Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 37(9), 1903-1909. doi: 10.1002/jor.24345. PMID: 31081555.
- L. Chen, J. Hartner, D. Van Dyke, T. Dong, D. Li, B. Watson, A. Shih, "Custom Skull Cap with Precision Guides for Deep Insertion of Cellular-Scale Microwire into Rat Brain", ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, Erie, Pennsylvania, June 10-14, 2019. doi: 10.1115/MSEC2019-2967.
- B. Tai, Y. Kao, N. Payne, Y. Zheng, L. Chen, A. Shih, 2018, "3D Printed Composite for Simulating Thermal and Mechanical Responses of the Cortical Bone in Orthopaedic Surgery," Medical Engineering & Physics, 61, 61-68, doi: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2018.08.004. PMID: 30181022.
- Z. Zhu, K. Guo, J. Sun, J. Li, Y. Liu, Y. Zheng, L. Chen, 2018, "Evaluation of novel tool geometries in dry drilling aluminum 2024-T351/titanium Ti6Al4V stack", Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 259, 270-281. doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2018.04.044.
- Z. Zhu, K. Guo, J. Sun, J. Li, Y. Liu, L. Chen, Y. Zheng, 2018, "Evolution of 3D chip morphology and phase transformation in dry drilling Ti6Al4V alloys", Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 34, 531-539. doi: 10.1016/j.jmapro.2018.07.001.
- L. Chen, J. Yang, A. Shih, 2018, "Bore Cylindricity in Finish Cylinder Boring", ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 140(6), 061015. doi:10.1115/1.4039442.
- L. Chen, B. Tai, R. Chaudhari, X. Song, A. Shih, 2017, "Machined Surface Temperature in Hard Turning," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 121, 10-21. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2017.03.003.
- L. Chen, B. Tai, J. Yang, A. Shih, 2017, "Experimental Study and Finite Element Modeling of Workpiece Temperature in Finish Cylinder Boring", ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 139(11), 111003-111003-11. doi:10.1115/1.4037554.
- A. Shih, B. Tai, R. Chen, L. Chen, Y. Zheng, Y. Wang, 2016, "Video Enriched Pedagogy in Manufacturing Processes", Procedia Manufacturing, 5, 1154-1167. doi: 10.1016/j.promfg.2016.08.091.
- L. Chen, J. Yang, A. Shih, B. Tai, 2015, "Investigation of Finite Element Thermal Models for Workpiece Temperature in Cylinder Boring", ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina, June 8-12, 2015. doi: 10.1115/MSEC2015-9415.
- R. Chen, L. Chen, T. Lo, A. Shih, 2015, "Nano-CT Characterization of Structural Voids and Air Bubbles in Fused Deposition Modeling for Additive Manufacturing," ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina, June 8-12, 2015. doi:10.1115/MSEC2015-9462.
- B. Yan, Y. Wang, L. Chen, S. Lou, A. Shih, 2014, "Micro-Blasting for Cleaning Coated Abrasive Belts for Titanium Grinding," The 11th International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing, ICFDM'2014, Nanjing, China.
- R. Chen, L. Chen, B. Tai, Y. Wang, A. Shih, 2014, "Additive Manufacturing of Personalized Ankle-Foot Orthosis", Proceedings of NAMRI/SME 2014, North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC), Detroit, USA, 9-13 Jun 2014.
- R. Chen, L. Chen, J. Wensman, A. Shih, 2014, "Rapid Fabrication of Custom Orthoses with Sparse Structure and Topology Optimization Using Additive Manufacturing," RAPID, June 9-12, Detroit, MI.
- L. Chen, Q. Xu, H. Song, H. Yang, J. Han, Y. Chen, 2012, "Corrosion Monitoring for Marine Concrete Based on a First-order RC Model", OCEANS'12 MTS/IEEE, Hampton Roads, USA, 13-19 Oct 2012. doi: 10.1109/OCEANS.2012.6405020.
- H. Song, H. Huang, P. Yang, L. Chen, Y. Chen, 2012, "Wavefront Aberration Correction for a Laser Propagating Over Water with a Closed-Loop Adaptive Optical System," OCEANS'12 MTS/IEEE, Yeosu, South Korea, 21-24 May 2012. doi: 10.1109/OCEANS-Yeosu.2012.6263590.
- Deep Insertion of the Next Generation Cellular-Scale Brain-Machine Interface, October 2020 - Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA
- Dura Penetration, Deep Insertion, and Electrophysiological Recording with Cellular-Scale Microelectrodes Using 3D-Printed Custom Skull Cap, October 2019 - Neuroscience 2019, Society of Neuroscience (SfN), Chicago, IL
- Moving Beyond Trial and Error in Precision Cutting: From Automotive to Biomedical Manufacturing, July 2019 - Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
- Heat Generation in Oscillatory vs.Unidirectional Bone Drilling Methods for K-Wire Insertion: A Pilot Study, March 2019 - American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) 2019 Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV
- Experimental Study and Finite Element Method Thermal Modelling of Friction Stir Back Extrusion of 6063 Aluminum Alloy, June 2018 - Symposium on Research in Collaboration with Manufacturing USA Institutes at the MSEC 2018 and NAMRC 46, College Station, Texas
- Measurement of Drill Tip Temperature Using Tool-Foil Thermocouple Method, February 2018 - Institute for Machining (Institut für Spanende Fertigung ISF), Technical University of Dortmund, Dortmund, Germany
- Cylindrical Machining Workpiece Temperature and Bore Cylindricity, July 2017 - Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
- Development of Modeling Technologies for Bore Quality Prediction Due to Machining Process, December 2016 - Ford Motor Company, Livonia, MI
- Prediction of Workpiece Temperature in Hard Turning, August 2015 - The Timken Company, North Canton, OH
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- A universal and 3D-printed rat calvarium replacement system to enable for pan-cortical and sub-cortical recordings and optogenetics (2020), Grant - National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
Chen, L. (Co-Investigator), Watson, B. (Principal)
- Clinical Evaluation of Custom 3D-Printed Silicone Prosthetic Finger (2019), Grant - Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation
Chen, L. (Co-Principal), Kelly, B. (Principal)
- The Novel Biopsy Needle Design and Delivery System to Minimize Needle Deflection and Optimize Needle Positioning to Improve Lesion Sampling Accuracy Using A Co-Registered MRI/US Fusion Biopsy Platform (2018), Sponsored Research - National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Chen, L. (Co-Investigator), Montgomery, J. (Principal)