The Department of Administrative Services, Office of Life Safety & Emergency Management, publishes this annual report to comply with the reporting requirements contained in Section 485 of the Higher Education Opportunity Act (P.L. 110-315) of 2008, Campus Fire Safety Right-to-Know for the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
The federal Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 includes provisions known as the Campus Fire Safety Right-to-Know Act. These provisions require colleges and universities to report fire safety information to the U.S. Department of Education, and to make annual fire safety reports available to the public and the campus community. These reports must include:
- The number of fires and the cause of each fire.
- The number of injuries and deaths related to a fire.
- The value of property damage caused by a fire.
- The number of regular mandatory, supervised fire drills; policies or rules on portable electrical appliances; procedures for evacuation; policies or rules regarding fire safety education and training programs provided to students, faculty, and staff; and plans for future improvements in fire safety.
- Descriptions of fire protection equipment (fire alarms/sprinklers) in each on-campus housing unit.
The annual fire safety report will provide information such as statistics on fire related incidents and/or injuries that have occurred in residence halls, descriptions of each residence hall’s fire safety system, and the number of fire evacuation drills performed. Also included are University of Massachusetts Lowell Residential Life fire safety policies and procedures and plans for future residence hall fire safety improvements. This report is available through the Office of Life Safety & Emergency Management website.
The Annual Fire Safety Report, is published separately from the University of Massachusetts Lowell Annual Security Report which is published by The UMass Lowell Police Department and available through their website.
Additional information can be obtained by contacting the Office of Life Safety & Emergency Management at: 978-934-2618, or by emailing: EmergencyPreparedness@uml.edu.