Students walking on south campus

Parents Frequently Asked Questions

My student was part of an incident that was documented. What will happen now?

If your student has been documented, they will receive a letter via their student email address with information about a conduct meeting. The student will meet with a hearing officer to discuss the incident. If they are found responsible for the violation, they will be issued appropriate sanctions.

What does it mean to be part of an incident that was documented?

When a student is documented, it means that the student’s name is included in a written Incident Report. The Incident Report has information about the incident and the alleged violation that has occurred. Being documented for an incident does not mean the student has been found responsible. A meeting will be held with the student to determine if he or she is responsible for the violation.

What happens if my student does not attend his/her scheduled meeting?

The meetings are scheduled based on the student’s academic schedule.  If there is a different type of conflict the student should contact their hearing officer (contact information included in initial letter) before the scheduled meeting to set a new time.  However, if your student does not attend his/her scheduled meeting a decision will be made on responsibility and sanctions if applicable, without their input.  Additionally, they lose their right to appeal the outcome.

What is the standard of proof used to make a determination of responsibility?

The Student Conduct system is a not a court of law.  The beyond a reasonable doubt is a criminal standard and is not used.  The Student Conduct system uses the “Preponderance of the Evidence” standard, meaning that determinations will be made based on whether it is more likely or not that the violation occurred.

What if my student does not complete their assigned sanctions?

If your student does not complete his or her assigned sanctions, a hold will be placed on your student’s account until the sanctions are completed. This hold will prevent your student from being able to register for classes.

What are some of the possible sanctions my student could receive if found responsible for a violation?

The majority of cases result in low level sanctions such as written reprimand, probation, and/or various types of educational sanctions.  Violations of the alcohol and drug policy have minimum sanctions.  Those sanctions can be found on page 25 (Alcohol) and page 28 (Drug) of the Student Conduct Code (pdf). Please refer to page 9 of the Student Conduct Code (pdf) for a comprehensive list of sanctions.

Can I attend my student’s conduct meeting with him or her?

Students are allowed to bring an advisor to the hearing. However, the advisor must be a member of the faculty, staff, or student body of the university. If your student is facing criminal charges, he or she may bring a lawyer to advise. However, the advisor may not speak on behalf of the student.  Please refer to page 13 of theStudent Conduct Code (pdf) for full details on advisors.

Will I be notified if my student is documented for an incident?

Due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), you will only be notified of an incident if your student is under 21 and found responsible for a violation of the alcohol or drug policy. You will be contacted through letter or telephone call.  The office encourages students to speak with their parent/guardian about all Student Conduct Code violations.

What is FERPA?

FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. FERPA covers the rights of students to privacy over their own educational records. Schools must have a student’s consent prior to the disclosure of any educational records. FERPA includes students of any age enrolled in a post-secondary educational institution.  There are exceptions to FERPA, for example violations of the alcohol and drug policy if the student is under the age of 21.

As a parent, what do I need to do in order to get information on my student’s conduct history?

In order to receive more information about your student’s conduct history (beside alcohol and drug violations), your student must sign a waiver giving us permission to share their information.  Your student can get a waiver by contacting the office at

Where can I find the Student Conduct Code?

The Student Conduct Code (pdf) can be found online.

What if I have more questions?

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us by email at or by calling 978-934-5160.