Think You Have The Flu?
If a student does contract the flu, we strongly recommend the following:
- Go home if possible
- Stay out of class until fever free (< 100◦F) for 24 hours without fever-reducing medicine.
- Consult with your health-care provider if you have any underlying chronic respiratory, cardiac or neurological conditions that might cause complications.
- Notify all professors via email about absence.
- If possible, try to keep up with academic work by reading assignments and accessing lecture capture if available via computer.
- Students will not need a note excusing their absence.
- For detailed information on how to care for yourself please read: “Flu: What You Can Do; Caring for People at Home” (pdf).
Residential students remaining on campus who are ill should:
- Self-isolate in their room, avoiding all common areas, especially the dining hall.
- Either you or a friend can pick up a to-go meal from our dining halls.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.
- Wear a mask when using shared bathrooms. Supplies are available in each residence.
- Keep in frequent contact with family.
Call Emergency Medical Services at 978-934-2911 for any serious symptoms, including:
- Rapid heart rate
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Fever greater than 104◦F that cannot be reduced with by fever-reducing medicines
- Sudden dizziness or confusion
- Severe chest or abdominal pain
With a strong community effort we hope to have a healthy start to the semester.