Poll: 46% of Americans Want No-fly Zone over Ukraine even if it Risks Nuclear War

Man's hands holding screen with Online Survey on it
UMass Lowell Center for Public Opinion conducted a survey March 15-21, 2022 of 1,000 U.S. adults, 873 registered voters about the war in Ukraine, along with domestic issues, including the appetite for political reform, political leaders’ favorability ratings and the federal government’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Key Findings

  • Just under half of the U.S. adults surveyed – 46% – favor creating a no-fly zone in Ukraine airspace, increasing U.S. involvement with the risk of possible nuclear war. 
  • Asked if the U.S. should continue to ban Russian oil and gas imports – even if it means gas prices would continue to rise – a majority of both Democrats and Republicans polled agreed, with 49% answering “definitely yes,” and 25% responding “probably yes,” for a total of 74% in favor. 
  • With 71% in favor, respondents also back term limits for U.S. Supreme Court justices.