Polymer Processing, Polymer Physics, Fiber Processing-Structure Property, Electrospinning Mesoscale Molecular Dynamics Simulation, Polymer Nanocomposite, Extrusion
High Performance Plastics, Functional Textiles, Multi-scale Material Manufacturing, Nanomanufacturing, Additive Manufacturing, Hierarchical Structural Assembly
- Postdoc: Polymers Branch, (2018), U.S. Army Research Laboratory - Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD
- Postdoc: Chemical Engineering, (2017), Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Cambridge, MA
- Ph D: Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, (2013), Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Controlling the Placement of Inorganic Nanofillers Within Electrospun Nanofibers Using Flow and Self-assembly
- BS: Chemical Engineering, (2004), Johns Hopkins University - Baltimore, MD
Jay Park received his B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the Johns Hopkins University and Ph. D. in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering from Cornell University. He subsequently held postdoctoral appointments at MIT and U.S. Army Research Lab, where he has gained expertise in high-performance fiber and plastics at both fundamental and application levels. He joined the Plastics Engineering faculty in Fall 2018.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Austin Hooey Award (2013), Scholarship/Research - Cornell University
- Doh Wonsuk Memorial Award (2013), Scholarship/Research - KICHE - US Chapter
- Graduate Teaching Award (2013), Teaching - Cornell University
- SOR Graduate Travel Grant (2011), Scholarship/Research - Society of Rheology
- Zander, N.E., Park, J., Boelter, Z.R., Gillan, M.A. (2019). Recycled Cellulose Polypropylene Composite Feedstocks for Material Extrusion Additive Manufacturing. ACS Omega, 4(9) 13879-13888.
- Park, J., Rutledge, G.C. (2018). Ultrafine high performance polyethylene fibers. Journal of Materials Science, 53(4) 3049-3063.
- Smith, S.A., Park, J., Williams, B.P., Joo, Y.L. (2017). Polymer/ceramic co-continuous nanofiber membranes via room-curable organopolysilazane for improved lithium-ion battery performance. Journal of Materials Science, (7) 3657.
- Park, J., Joo, Y.L. (2017). A facile precursor route to highly loaded metal/ceramic nanofibers as a robust surface-enhanced Raman template. Applied Surface Science, 416 742-750.
- Park, J., Rutledge, G.C. (2017). 50th Anniversary Perspective: Advanced Polymer Fibers: High Performance and Ultrafine. Macromolecules, 50(15) 5627-5642.
- Cho, D., Kim, M., Hwang, J., Park, J., Joo, Y.L., Jeong, Y. (2015). Facile Synthesis of Porous Silicon Nanofibers by Magnesium Reduction for Application in Lithium Ion Batteries. Nanoscale Research Letters, (1) 1.
- Kim, Y.S., Shoorideh, G., Zhmayev, Y., Lee, J., Li, Z., Patel, B., Chakrapani, S., Park, J., Lee, S., Joo, Y.L. (2015). The critical contribution of unzipped graphene nanoribbons to scalable silicon--carbon fiber anodes in rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Nano Energy.
- Cho, D., Park, J., Jeong, Y., Lak Joo, Y. (2015). Synthesis of titanium carbide–carbon nanofibers via carbothermal reduction of titania with carbon. Ceramics International, 41(9) 10974-10979.
- Park, J., Joo, Y.L. (2014). Formation of interconnected morphologies via nanorod inclusion in the confined assembly of symmetric block copolymers. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 16(19) 8865-8871.
- Park, J., Joo, Y.L. (2014). Tailoring nanorod alignment in a polymer matrix by elongational flow under confinement: simulation, experiments, and surface enhanced Raman scattering application. Soft Matter, 10(19) 3494.
- Park, J., Yin, J., Kalra, V., Joo, Y.L. (2014). Role of Nanoparticle Selectivity in the Symmetry Breaking of Cylindrically Confined Block Copolymers. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 118(14) 7653-7668.
- Park, J., Kalra, V., Joo, Y.L. (2014). Controlling the dispersion and orientation of nanorods in polymer melt under shear: Coarse-grained molecular dynamics simulation study. The Journal of Chemical Physics, 140(12) 124903.
- Aljishi, M.F., Ruo, A., Park, J., Nasser, B., Kim, W., Joo, Y.L. (2013). Effect of flow structure at the onset of instability on barium sulfate precipitation in Taylor–Couette crystallizers. Journal of Crystal Growth, 373(Asian Crystallization Technology Symposium-2012) 20 - 31.
- Park, J., Kalra, V., Joo, Y.L. (2012). Cylindrically confined assembly of asymmetrical block copolymers with and without nanoparticles. Soft Matter, 8(6) 1845-1857.
- Cho, Y., Cho, D., Park, J., Frey, M.W., Ober, C.K., Joo, Y.L. (2012). Preparation and characterization of amphiphilic triblock terpolymer-based nanofibers as antifouling biomaterials. Biomacromolecules, 13(5) 1606 - 1614.
- Kalra, V., Jung Hun, L., Park, J., Marquez, M., Yong Lak, J. (2009). Confined Assembly of Asymmetric Block Copolymer Nanofibers via Multi-axial Jet Electrospinning. Small.
Selected Intellectual Property
- Patent - Park, J., Rutledge, G.C."Gel-Electrospinning Process for High Performance Polymer Nanofibers," 62/315,289 United States
- Patent - Park, J., Wiesner, U., Joo, Y."Ordered Porous Nanofibers, Methods, and Applications," 61/599,541 United States
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- (2016), Grant - DoD - NSRDEC
Park, J., Rutledge, G.C., Wang, K., Nagarajan, R.
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) Fellowship (2017), Fellowship - Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
- (2015), Grant - NSRDEC
Park, J., Rutledge, G.C.
- Conference Travel Grant (2011), Grant - Society of Rheology