Polymer Processing, Plastic Product Design, Mold Design, Sustainable Manufacturing, Polymer-Based Micro Manufacturing
- Ph.D.: Industrial Engineering, (2017), University of Padova - Padova PD, Italy
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Analysis of the tribological effects of mold surface properties on the micro injection molding process
- MS: Mechanical Engineering, (2014), University of Padova - Padova PD, Italy
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Numerical and experimental analysis of the replication of microstructured surfaces by micro injection moulding
- BS: Industrial Engineering, (2011), University of Padova - Padova PD, Italy
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Scheduling of industrial production
Davide Masato received BS Mechanical Engineering (2011), MS Mechanical Engineering (2014), and Ph.D. (2018) from the University of Padova in Italy. In 2016 he was a visiting researcher at the University of Bradford (Bradford, UK), where he worked at the Centre for Polymer Micro and Nano Technology (Polymer MNT). Before joining the Faculty at UMass Lowell, he was a post-doc researcher at the University of Padova (Padova, Italy), where he worked at the Te.Si. Laboratory for Precision Engineering and Manufacturing. Since 2018, Masato has been an Assistant Professor in the Department of Plastics Engineering at UMass Lowell. His research focuses on plastic product design, polymer processing technologies, sustainable manufacturing, and computer-aided engineering. His research is funded by NASA, US ARMY, REMADE (Department of Energy), and private companies. Masato teaches undergraduate and graduate engineering design, injection mold design, and computer-aided engineering classes. Masato's research resulted in 35+ journal publications, 50+ conference presentations, 1 book chapter, and 3 patents.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Teaching Excellence Award (2021), UMass Lowell Plastics Engineering
- Honorable Mention Paper Award (2017), Scholarship/Research - World Congress on Micro and Nano Manufacturing
- Honorable Mention Student Paper Presentation Award (2017), Scholarship/Research - World Congress on Micro and Nano Manufacturing
- Krantz, Joshua, Zarek Nieduzak, Elizabeth Kazmer, Juliana Licata, Olivia Ferki, Peng Gao, Margaret J. Sobkowicz, and Davide Masato. "Investigation of pressure-controlled injection molding on the mechanical properties and embodied energy of recycled high-density polyethylene." Sustainable Materials and Technologies (2023): e00651.
- Masato, Davide, Juliana Licata, Peng Gao, Nathan Maynard, Jeffrey Slocomb, Andrew Cavanaugh, Matt Sterling, and Charles Moritz. "Thermoformability analysis of TPO sheets blended with postindustrial secondary feedstock." Polymer Engineering & Science (2023).
- Kazmer, David, Amy M. Peterson, Davide Masato, Austin R. Colon, and Joshua Krantz. "Strategic cost and sustainability analyses of injection molding and material extrusion additive manufacturing." Polymer Engineering & Science 63, no. 3 (2023): 943-958.
- Gao, Peng, Ian MacKay, Andrea Gruber, Joshua Krantz, Leonardo Piccolo, Giovanni Lucchetta, Riccardo Pelaccia, Leonardo Orazi, and Davide Masato. "Wetting Characteristics of Laser-Ablated Hierarchical Textures Replicated by Micro Injection Molding." Micromachines 14, no. 4 (2023): 863.
- Masato, Davide, David O. Kazmer, and Rahul R. Panchal. "Analysis of in-mold shrinkage measurement for amorphous and semicrystalline polymers using a multivariate sensor." The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 125, no. 1-2 (2023): 587-602.
- Piccolo, Leonardo, Zibo Wang, Giovanni Lucchetta, Mengyan Shen, and Davide Masato. "Ultrafast laser texturing of stainless steel in water and air environment." Lasers in Manufacturing and Materials Processing 9, no. 3 (2022): 434-453.
- Masato, Davide, Leonardo Piccolo, Giovanni Lucchetta, and Marco Sorgato. "Texturing Technologies for Plastics Injection Molding: A Review." Micromachines 13, no. 8 (2022): 1211.
- Ullrich, Fabian, Shailendra Pal Veer Singh, Sean McDonald, Alex Krueger, Javier Vera-Sorroche, Alireza Amirkhizi, and Davide Masato. "Effect of strain rate on the mechanical properties of polycarbonate processed by compression and injection molding." Polymer Engineering & Science 62, no. 1 (2022): 174-184.
- Masato, Davide, and Stephen Johnston. "Project-Based Teaching of a Manufacturing Class During the COVID-19 Pandemic." Journal of Micro-and Nano-Manufacturing 9, no. 3 (2021): 030904.
- Kazmer, David O., Davide Masato, Leonardo Piccolo, Kyle Puleo, Joshua Krantz, Varun Venoor, Austin Colon et al. "Multivariate modeling of mechanical properties for hot runner molded bioplastics and a recycled polypropylene blend." Sustainability 13, no. 14 (2021): 8102.
- Piccolo, Leonardo, Kyle Puleo, Marco Sorgato, Giovanni Lucchetta, and Davide Masato. "Modeling the replication of submicron-structured surfaces by micro injection molding." Materials & Design 198 (2021): 109272.
- Dempsey, Daniel, Sean McDonald, Davide Masato, and Carol Barry. "Characterization of stereolithography printed soft tooling for micro injection molding." Micromachines 11, no. 9 (2020): 819.
- Loaldi, Dario, Leonardo Piccolo, Eric Brown, Guido Tosello, Corey Shemelya, and Davide Masato. "Hybrid process chain for the integration of direct ink writing and polymer injection molding." Micromachines 11, no. 5 (2020): 509.
- Masato, D., Sorgato, M., Lucchetta, G. (2017). Prototyping and modeling of the centrifugal casting process for paraffin waxes. Materials and Manufacturing Processes,32(16) 1823-1830.
- Masato, D., Rathore, J., Sorgato, M., Carmignato, S., Lucchetta, G. (2017). Analysis of the shrinkage of injection-molded fiber-reinforced thin-wall parts. Materials & Design,132 496-504.
- Parenti, P., Masato, D., Sorgato, M., Lucchetta, G., Annoni, M. (2017). Surface footprint in molds micromilling and effect on part demoldability in micro injection molding. Journal of Manufacturing Processes,29 160-174.
- Masato, D., Sorgato, M., Lucchetta, G. (2017). Characterization of the micro injection-compression molding process for the replication of high aspect ratio micro-structured surfaces. Microsystem Technologies,23(8) 3661-3670.
- Masato, D., Sorgato, M., Parenti, P., Annoni, M., Lucchetta, G. (2017). Impact of deep cores surface topography generated by micro milling on the demolding force in micro injection molding. Journal of Materials Processing Technology,246 211-223.
- Sorgato, M., Masato, D., Lucchetta, G. (2017). Effect of vacuum venting and mold wettability on the replication of micro-structured surfaces. Microsystem Technologies,23(7) 2543-2552.
- Lucchetta, G., Masato, D., Sorgato, M., Crema, L., Savio, E. (2016). Effect of different mould coatings on polymer filling flow in thin-wall injection moulding. CIRP Annals Manufacturing Technology,65(1) 537-540.
- Masato, D., Sorgato, M., Lucchetta, G. (2016). Analysis of the influence of part thickness on the replication of micro-structured surfaces by injection molding. Materials & Design,95 219-224.
- Flow visualization of thin-wall injection molding and effect of mold coatings, June 2017 - Dresden, Germany
- Effect of fiber orientation and process parameters on shrinkage in injection molding of thin-walled micro parts - ANTEC Conference, May 2017 - Anaheim, CA
- Prediction of ejection force in micro injection molding by calibration of a shrinkage model - WCMNM, March 2017 - Kaohsiung, Taiwan Province, China
- Impact of micro milling strategy on the demolding forces in micro injection molding - 4M Conference, September 2016 - Cophenhagen, Denmark
- Effects of different mould coatings on polymer filling flow in thin-wall injection moulding - CIRP Conference, August 2016 - Guimaraes, Portugal
- Modelling and Prototyping of the Centrifugal Casting Process of Paraffin-Based Thermoplastic Polymers - PPS Conference, July 2016 - Lyon, France
- Investigation of the injection-compression molding process for the replication of high aspect ratio micro-structured surfaces - ICOMM Conference, March 2016 - Irvine, CA
- Study of ejection forces in micro injection molding as a function of mold surface finish obtainable by micro milling - Aitem Conference, September 2015 - Palermo, Italy