Dr. Merriman researches workforce issues, human capital and intersecting real estate trends. Topics currently under study include how communities/cities attract and sustain talent and how quality of place generates human vitality, creativity, prosocial behavior and social capital.
- Ph D: Organizational Management & Human Resources, (2002), Temple University, Fox School of Business - Philadelphia
- BBA: Accounting, (1996), Temple University - Philadelphia
Dr. Merriman is a widely published scholar, award-winning author and recognized authority by sources such as the Wall Street Journal, BBC and The Conference Board. She formerly served on the faculty of Penn State University, Manhattan College and Wichita State University. She is an expert in digital education and has extensive involvement in the real estate industry.
- Merriman, K.K. (2022). Trump Properties Aren’t the Only Ones to See Wild Valuations: Putting a Price on Real Estate Isn’t Straightforward. The Conversation
- Turner, L.A., Merriman, K.K. (2022). Cultural Intelligence and Establishment of Organizational Diversity Management Practices: An Upper Echelons Perspective. Human Resource Management Journal, 32(2) 321-340.
- Leavens, T., Merriman, K., Montag-Smit, T., Greenway, D. (2021). The New Strategic Road Map for Attracting and Retaining Working Parents (63:1 pp. 1-4). MIT Sloan Management Review
- Merriman, K.K., Greenway, D., Montag-Smit, T. (2021). Employees Are Feeling Burned Over Broken Work-From-Home Promises and Corporate Culture ‘BS’ as Employers Try to Bring Them Back to the Office (May 19, 2021). The Conversation
- Merriman, K.K., Patcella, L.J. (2020). Perspectives on the Assembled Workforce in Real Property Valuation - Recipient of the Richard U. Ratcliff Award (88:3 pp. 166-178). The Appraisal Journal
- Merriman, K.K., Mumi, A., Turner, L.A. (2020). Extending Evidence for Inter-Individual Differences in Social Comparison Orientation to Pay Fairness Evaluations. Psychological Reports, 123(4) 1335-1354.
- Morand, D., Merriman, K.K., Deckop, J. (2020). Making Sense of Egalitarian Pay: Reconceptualizing Its Treatment in Organizations. Human Resource Management Journal, 30 180-197.
- Turner, L., Merriman, K.K. (2019). The Ripple Effect: HR’s Role in Influencing Diversity Management Practices. Higher Ed HR Magazine
- Keplinger, K., Lambert, B., Caza, B.B., Merriman, K., Murphy, M., Wang, L., Cropanzano, R. (2018). Improving Lives of Gig Workers: Navigating Ups and Downs of the Gig Economy (2018:1 pp. 18166). Academy of Management Proceedings
- Merriman, K.K. (2017). Extrinsic work values and feedback: Contrary effects for performance and well-being. Human Relations, 70 339-361.
- Merriman, K., Morf, M.C., Barley, S. (2017). Employment Relationships in the Gig Economy: Advancing Theory and Empirical Knowledge (1 pp. 10103). Academy of Management Proceedings
- Merriman, K.K. (2017). Valuation of human capital: Quantifying the importance of an assembled workforce (R. Wayne Pace HRD Book of the Year Award Nominee). Palgrave Macmillan
- Merriman, K.K., Sen, S., Felo, A.J., Litzky, B.E. (2016). Employees and sustainability: The role of incentives. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 31(4) 820-836.
- Merriman, K.K. (2016). Leadership and Perseverance (pp. 335-350). Springer
- Merriman, K.K., Turner, L., Galizzi, M., HaynesBaratz, . (2016). Pay Mix Policies as (Dis)incentives in Motivated Job Choice Decisions. Translational Issues in Psychological Science, 2(2) 184-191.
- Merriman, K.K., Nam, D. (2015). A managerial perspective on risk and return for corporate innovation projects . Organizational Management Journal, 12(4) 200-207.
- Merriman, K.K. (2014). The psychological role of pay systems in choosing to work more hours. Human Resource Management Review, 24(1) 67-79.
- Morand, D.A., Merriman, K.K. (2012). "Equality Theory" as a Counterbalance to Equity Theory in Human Resource Management. Journal of Business Ethics, 111(1) 133-144.
- Merriman, K.K., Maslyn, J., Farmer, S.M. (2012). An Inter-and Intraindividual Perspective of the Substitutability of Fairness Rules for Trust Within Teams. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 42(4) 850-873.
- Merriman, K.K., Clariana, R., Bernardi, R. (2012). Goal Orientation and Feedback Congruence: Effects on Discretionary Effort and Achievement. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 42(11) 2776-2796.
- Merriman, K.K., Sen, S. (2012). Incenting managers toward the triple bottom line: An agency and social norm perspective. Human Resource Management, 51(6) 851-871.
- Merriman, K.K. (2010). Lost in Translation: Cultural Interpretations of Performance Pay. Compensation & Benefits Review, 42(5) 403-410.
- Merriman, K.K. (2009). On the folly of rewarding team performance, while hoping for teamwork. Compensation & Benefits Review, 41(1) 61-66.
- Merriman, K.K. (2008). Low-trust teams prefer individualized pay. Harvard Business Review, 86(11) 32.
- Merriman, K.K., Deckop, J.R. (2007). Loss aversion and variable pay: a motivational perspective. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 18(6) 1026-1041.
- Merriman, K.K., Schmidt, S.M., Dunlap-Hinkler, D. (2007). Profiling Virtual Employees The Impact of Managing Virtually. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 14(1) 6-15.
- Merriman, K., Schmidt, S.M., Dunlap-Hinkler, D. (2007). Profiling virtual employees: the impact of managing virtually. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 6(1) 21-36.
- Deckop, J.R., Merriman, K.K., Gupta, S. (2006). The effects of CEO pay structure on corporate social performance. Journal of Management, 32(3) 329-342.
- Deckop, J.R., Merriman, K.K., Blau, G. (2004). Impact of variable risk preferences on the effectiveness of control by pay. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 77(1) 63-80.
- Geddes, D., Merriman, K.K., Ross, G., Dunlap-Hinkler, D. (2003). Self appraisal ‘voice’ and perceptions of justice: Examining the impact and interdependence of instrumental and value-expressive effects. International Journal of Conflict Management, 14(1) 23-42.
- Blau, G., Merriman, K.K., Tatum, D.S., Rudmann, S.V. (2001). Antecedents and consequences of basic versus career enrichment benefit satisfaction. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 22(6) 669-688.
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- The role of sustainability reporting in performance management (2011), Grant - Institute of Management Accountants Foundation for Applied Research
- The risk-return relation based on a managerial perspective: Evidence from national R&D funding projects (2010), Grant - National Opinion Research Center and National Institute of Standards and Technologies