ExpertiseStrategic planning, Organizational turnaround, Business start up development
- Organizational Decline and Innovation
- Economic Recessions
- Start Up Organizations in High Tech Fields
- B.B.A., UMass Amherst, Marketing
- M.B.A., UMass Lowell, Marketing Focus
- Ph.D., UMass Amherst, Strategic Management
BiosketchScott Latham worked for a dozen years in the software industry, where he experienced both the highs and lows of the .com boom. He managed several small, entrepreneurial organizations, mostly in a business development and marketing capacity. His career took him throughout the world; he has lived and worked in Europe and Asia.
During his career, noted achievements include:
- Helped a high tech start up grow from 6 to a 100 people in a four year span
- As an e-commerce consultant, advised a wide range of organizations in enterprise software deployments
- Part of a senior management team that took a company through an IPO process, then after pulling the IPO helped raise $20 million in bridge funding
- Managed partnerships with some of the largest organizations in the world, including Raytheon, Oracle, SAP
After leaving industry, in 2005 he earned a Ph.D. in strategic management. His research focuses on organizational decline, environmental turbulence, and innovation; it has been published in the top journals in the field, including Academy of Management Review, Journal of Management, Journal of Small Business Management, and Harvard Business Review.
He has also been cited in more practitioner-orientated media outlets, such as WFTX-TV, NECN, MSNBC, Entrepreneur Magazine, Mass High Tech, the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald. In the past, he has consulted with small, entrepreneurial organizations on business models, growth, and strategic positioning. In addition he sits on the board of the M2D2- the Massachusetts Medical Device to Market incubator, where he has advised close to 100 small medical device startups.