Tony Gao conducts research on management of customer relationships, marketing innovations, and international marketing. He has published in Journal of Business Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Journal of International Marketing, Journal of Service Research, Thunderbird International Business Review, Multinational Business Review, Industrial Marketing Management, Business Horizons, and Journal of Advertising Research, among other journals.
- BS: Industrial and Management Engineering, Hebei University of Technology - Tianjin, China
- MS: System Analysis, Harbin Institute of Technology - Harbin, China
- Ph D: Marketing, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Blacksburg, VA
Prior to joining the Manning School of Business, Tony served on the business school faculty of Northeastern University and had work experience with the China branch of Mitsubishi Corporation (a general trading company in Japan) in international trade and joint venture developments. Tony’s views on marketing, retailing, and international business issues have been quoted by media outlets such as BusinessWeek, Financial Times, Forbes, UPI, CIO, Consumer Digest, USA Today, and Boston Globe. A teaching innovation Tony has embraced in recent years is the integration of Salesforce CRM (Customer Relationship Management) solutions into his various classes. Having gone through extensive CRM training himself, Tony is now a certified Salesforce Fundamentals Educator and holds industry-level certifications in Salesforce Administrator, Advanced Administrator, Sales Cloud, Service Could, and Platform App Builder.
- Gao, T., McGinnis, L.P., Talay, B.B. (2022). How Consumers’ Top Dog Antipathy Influences Their Underdog Support: A Study of Boundary Conditions. AIMS International Journal of Management, 16(3) 135-151.
- Gao, T. (2021). Plural Forms of Governance for International Strategic Alliances: Toward an Integrative Framework. International Journal of Business and Globalisation, 27(1) 32-50.
- Obal, M., Gao, T. (2020). Managing Business Relationships during a Pandemic: Conducting a Relationship Audit and Developing a Path Forward. Industrial Marketing Management, 88(July 2020) 247-254.
- Gao, T., McGinnis, L.P. (2020). Building a Compelling Underdog Consumption Experience. Journal of Small Business Strategy, 30(2) 93-105.
- Chen, C., Gao, T. (2019). Sender Outcomes of Online Word-of-Mouth Transmission. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 36(1) 197-205.
- Chen, C., Gao, T., Talay, B.B. (2019). An Integrative Model of Individual-Level Online Word-of-Mouth Transmission. Journal of Marketing and Strategic Management, 12(January) 25-53.
- Gao, T., Neelankavil, J.P., Viswanathan, K. (2018). A Three-Market Comparative Study on Determinants of Firm Performance: The Commercial Banking Industry. AIMS International Journal of Management, 12(2) 99-119.
- Gao, T. (2018). The ‘Industry’ Side of the Academic Job of Business Educators. Industry and Higher Education, 32(2) 67-68.
- Gao, T. (2017). A Relationship Governance Perspective of Organizational Buyers' Supplier Choice Decisions. Journal of Relationship Marketing, 16(4) 328-342.
- McGinnis, L., Gao, T., Jun, S., Gentry, J.W. (2017). Motivational Bases for Consumers’ Underdog Affection in Commerce. Journal of Service Management, 28(3) 563-592.
- Shi, L.H., Gao, T. (2016). Performance Effects of Global Account Coordination Mechanisms: An Integrative Study of Boundary Conditions. Journal of International Marketing, 24(2) 1–21.
- Gao, T., Rohm, A.J., Sultan, F., Pagani, M. (2013). Consumers Un-Tethered: A Three-Market Empirical Study of Consumers’ Mobile Marketing Acceptance. Journal of Business Research, 66(12) 2535-2544.
- McGinnis, L.P., Gentry, J.W., Gao, T. (2012). Antecedents to Consumer Perceptions of Sacredness in Extended Service Experiences: The Case of Golf. Journal of Service Research, 15(4) 474-488.
- Rohm, A.J., Gao, T., Sultan, F., Pagani, M. (2012). Brand in the Hand: A Cross-Market Investigation of Consumer Acceptance of Mobile Marketing. Business Horizons, 55(5) 485-493.
- Gao, T., Leichter, G., Wei, Y. (2012). Countervailing Effects of Value and Risk Perceptions in Manufacturers’ Adoption of Expensive, Discontinuous Innovations. Industrial Marketing Management, 41(4) 659-668.
- Gao, T., Rohm, A.J., Sultan, F., Huang, S. (2012). Antecedents of Consumer Attitudes toward Mobile Marketing: A Comparative Study of Youth Markets in the United States and China. Thunderbird International Business Review, 54(2) 211-224.
- Gao, T., Shi, L.H. (2011). How Do Multinational Suppliers Formulate Mechanisms of Global Account Coordination? An Integrative Framework and Empirical Study. Journal of International Marketing, 19(4) 61-87.
- Wei, Y., Frankwick, G.L., Gao, T., Zhou, N. (2011). Consumer Adoption Intentions Toward the Internet in China: The Effects of Impersonal and Interpersonal Communication Channels. Journal of Advertising Research, 51(4) 594-607.
- Schakett, T., Flaschner, A., Gao, T., El-Ansary, A. (2011). Effects of Social Bonding in Business-to-Business Relationships. Journal of Relationship Marketing, 10(4) 264-280.
- Gao, T., Sirgy, M.J., Johar, J. (2010). Developing a Measure to Capture Marketing Faculty’s Perceptions of Unethical Behavior. Journal of Business Research, 63(4) 366-371.
- Gao, T., Sarraf, T.E. (2009). What Causes Multinational Companies to Increase Resource Commitments During Financial Crises in Emerging Markets? Multinational Business Review, 17(2) 10-22.
- Sultan, F., Rohm, A.J., Gao, T. (2009). Factors Influencing Consumer Acceptance of Mobile Marketing: A Two-Country Study of Youth Markets. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 23(4) 308-320.
- McGinnis, L.P., Gentry, J.W., Gao, T. (2008). The Impact of Flow and Communitas on Enduring Involvement in Extended Service Encounters. Journal of Service Research, 11(1) 74-90.
- Sirgy, M.J., Johar, J.S., Gao, T. (2006). Toward A Code of Ethics for Marketing Educators. Journal of Business Ethics, 63(1) 1-20.
- Gao, T., Sirgy, M.J., Bird, M.M. (2005). Reducing Buyer Decision-Making Uncertainty in Organizational Purchasing: Can Supplier Trust, Commitment, and Dependence Help? Journal of Business Research, 58(4) 397-405.
- Lee, K.S., Gao, T. (2005). Studying Organizational Commitment with the OCQ in the Korean Retail Context; Its Dimensionality and Relationships with Satisfaction and Work Outcomes. The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 15(4) 375-399.
- Gao, T., Eshaghoff, T.S. (2004). Important Decision Factors Considered by MNCs in Their Reevaluation and/or Modification of Foreign Entry Modes during the Argentine Financial Crisis. Latin American Business Review, 5(2) 45-69.
- Gao, T., Eshaghoff, T. (2004). MNCs’ Preferred Responses to the Argentine Financial Crisis: A Classification and Empirical Investigation. Latin American Business Review, 5(1) 23-44.
- Gao, T. (2004). The Contingency Framework of Foreign Entry Mode Decisions: Locating and Reinforcing the Weakest Link. Multinational Business Review, 12(1) 37-68.