Additive Manufacturing, Controlled Release, Polyelectrolyte Processing, Finite Element Analysis, Cell-Material Interactions, Interfacial Phenomena
Ongoing projects include experimental and computational investigation of semi-crystalline polymers for material extrusion-based AM, tailoring of interfacial interactions to facilitate flow and AM of highly loaded composites, real-time control of and property prediction for AM, strategies for large scale gradient ceramic AM, coatings for cell culture surfaces capable of controlled release for cell manufacturing, and investigation of the performance of food packaging.
- Ph D: Chemical Engineering, (2011), Drexel University - Philadelphia, PA
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Development of Remendable Polymer Composites using a Thermoreversible Reaction
- BS: Chemical Engineering, (2007), Drexel University - Philadelphia, PA
Amy Peterson is an Associate Professor of Plastics Engineering at University of Massachusetts Lowell with expertise in interfacial phenomena and additive manufacturing (AM). Her research group studies processing-structure-property relationships in polymers and polymer composites, with a focus on interfacial phenomena in multilayered systems. She received her PhD in 2011 from Drexel University, where she was an NSF IGERT and Graduate Research Fellow. She was an Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow while at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces 2011-2013 and was an Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering at Worcester Polytechnic Institute 2013-2018.
Selected Awards and Honors
- NSF CMMI Panel Fellow, 2021
- Sigma Xi Full Member, 2017
- Alpha Sigma Mu Member, 2017
- Tau Beta Pi Eminent Engineer, 2016
- Wang, Y.; Hansen, C. J.; Wu, C.-C.; Robinette, E. J.; Peterson, A. M. Effect of surface wettability on the interfacial adhesion of a thermosetting elastomer on glass, RSC Advances, 2021, 11, 31142-31151.
- Pourali, M.; Peterson, A. M.; Fused Filament Fabrication of Void-Free Parts using Low Viscosity Hot Melt Adhesives, Additive Manufacturing, 2021, 46, 102110.
- Kazmer, D. O.; Colon, A.; Peterson, A. M.; Kim, S. K. Concurrent Characterization of Compressibility and Viscosity in Extrusion-Based Additive Manufacturing of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene with Fault Diagnoses, Additive Manufacturing, 2021, 46, 102106.
- Ding, I.; Peterson, A. M.; Half-Life Modeling of Basic Fibroblast Growth Factor and its Media Concentration from Growth Factor-Eluting Polyelectrolyte Multilayers. Scientific Reports, 2021, 11, 9808.
- Kim, S. K.; Kazmer, D. O.; Colon, A. R.; Coogan, T. J.; Peterson, A. M. Non-Newtonian Modeling of Contact Pressure in Fused Filament Fabrication. Journal of Rheology, 2021, 65(1), 27.
- D'Amico, T.; Peterson, A. M.; Bead parameterization of desktop and room-scale material extrusion additive manufacturing: How print speed and thermal properties affect heat transfer. Additive Manufacturing, 2020, 34, 101239.
- Towle, E. G.; Ding, I.; Peterson, A. M.; Impact of Molecular Weight on Polyelectrolyte Multilayer Assembly and Surface Properties. Journal of Colloid & Interface Science, 2020, 570, 135-142.
- Braconnier, D. J.; Jensen, R. E.; Peterson, A. M.; Processing parameter correlations in material extrusion additive manufacturing. Additive Manufacturing, 2020, 31, 100924.
- D'Amico, T.; Barrett, C.; Presing, J.; Patnayakuni, R.; Pourali, M.; Peterson, A. M.; Harnessing Irreversible Thermal Strain for Shape Memory in Polymer Additive Manufacturing. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2019, 136, 48239.
- Peterson, A. M.; Review of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene in fused filament fabrication: a plastics engineering-focused perspective. Additive Manufacturing, 2019, 27, 363-371.
- Ding, I.; Walz, J. A.; Mace, C. R.; Peterson, A. M.; Early hMSC morphology and proliferation on model polyelectrolyte multilayers. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2019, 178, 276-284.
- D'Amico, T.; Barrett, C.; Presing, J.; Peterson, A. M.; Micromechanical modeling of Irreversible Thermal Strain. Additive Manufacturing, 2019, 27, 91-98.
- Lyu, X.; Peterson, A. M.; Humidity tempering of polyelectrolyte complexes. Macromolecules, 2018, 51(23), 10003-10010.
- Weishaar, A.; Carpenter, M.; Loucks, R.; Sakulich, A.; Peterson, A. M.; Evaluation of Self-Healing Epoxy Coatings for Steel Reinforcement. Construction & Building Materials, 2018, 191, 125-135.
- Kim, S.; Peterson, A. M.; Holten-Andersen, N. Enhanced water retention maintains energy dissipation in dehydrated polymer networks: Another role for Fe-catechol coordinate crosslinks? Chem. Mater. 2018, 30(11), 3648-3655.
- D'Amico, A.; Peterson, A. M An Adaptable FEA Simulation of Material Extrusion Additive Manufacturing Heat Transfer in 3D. Additive Manufacturing, 2018, 21, 422-430.
- Ryder, M. A.; Lados, D. A.; Iannacchione, G. S.; Peterson, A. M. Fabrication and properties of novel polymer-metal composites using fused deposition modeling, Composites Science and Technology, 2018, 158, 43-50.
- Ding, I.; Shendi, D. M.; Rolle, M. W.; Peterson, A. M. Growth factor-releasing polyelectrolyte multilayer films for controlling cell culture environment, Langmuir, 2018, 34(3), 1178-1189.
Selected Intellectual Property
- Peterson, A.; Rolle, M.; Ding, I. Coated Cell Culture Apparatus and Methods of Use. US Patent Application 16/931,967.
- Peterson, A.; Rolle, M.; Ding, I. Coated Cell Culture Apparatus. International Patent Application PCT/US2016/066950.
- Peterson, A.; Rolle, M.; Ding, I. Coated Cell Culture Apparatus. US Patent 10,731,145.
- Palmese, G. R.; Jensen, R. E.; Peterson, A. M. Remendable Interfaces for Polymer Composites. PCT WO2011/146577.
- Palmese, G. R.; Jensen, R. E.; Peterson, A. M. Remendable Interfaces for Polymer Composites. US Patent 9,884,944.
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- GOALI: Experimental and Computational Approaches to Tailor Properties of Additively Manufactured Semi-Crystalline Polymers (2018), Grant - NSF
- Automated coating of cell culture surfaces with cytokine releasing-polyelectrolyte multilayer (2018), Grant - ARMI BioFabUSA
- Identification of Critical Performance Properties for Barrier Materials in Hot Sauce Packaging for Meals, Ready-to-Eat (MRE) Rations (2019), Grant - Defense Logistics Agency
Chen, W., Peterson, A., Mead, J.
- REU Site: Advanced materials and processes for a resilient society (2017), Grant - NSF (EEC), Research Experiences for Undergraduates
Peterson, A. (Co-Principal), Sakulich, A. (Principal)
- Thermal Modeling of BAAM for Tailoring Residual Stresses and Strength Amount (2017), Grant - ONR, Code 332 Naval Materials
Peterson, A. (Principal)