UPrint is a green initiative with the goal of reducing paper waste by eliminating unwanted and excess printing.
In various surveys and in collaboration with Xerox, the university determined it had an average usage of 3.5 million pages per month prior to the implementation of UPrint. Just imagine how many pages were wasted across all labs! Three major goals were involved in the implementation of UPrint:
- Become a greener campus and increase sustainability,
- Reduce overall costs for toner and paper each year, and
- Increase available printing services to students, faculty, and staff (i.e. posters, color prints, duplexing, etc.).
UPrint is located in over 40 labs across campus and the Lydon and O'Leary libraries:
Printing with UPrint:
Printing with UPrint only involves a few extra steps than normal printing:
- Have your UCard/UML ID available, or purchase a UPrint card in Lydon or O'Leary.
- Preview your job to ensure it will print how you would expect.
- Print your job as you typically would.
- Enter your SiS ID Number (without the preceding "UMS") and a name for your job so you can identify it when released.
- When you are ready to print all of your jobs, find the nearest Pharos release station (touch screen LCD device next to the printer) and swipe your card.
- You will be shown all of your jobs; choose the ones you want and press print; delete the ones you don't!
For a step-by-step walk through on how to use UPrint, complete with screen shots and pictures, you can download our complete PowerPoint presentation:
- Printing Instructions (ppt)
Print Allocations and Costs:
While decreasing costs for printing is an important factor, there is no intention to financially burden students. Each student is provided a number of free prints per semester, and a fair cost per page was established for any additional printing used.
Each black and white page (single-sided) costs 10 cents, and all enrolled students will receive $15 in print allotment per semester - that's 150 pages for free! If you have lost your UCard and need to print, or you are a member of the public, you can purchase a reusable UPrint card in the libraries for $1. You can also add funds online on the UPrint MyPrintCenter website.
Printers that have duplexing (double-sided) options will be discounted by 25 percent per side if the feature is used.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the UPrint solution, please contact us by email: UPrint@uml.edu.