Created in 2019, SoarCS is a summer bridge program open to all first-year, full-time computer science students. SoarCS is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment.
Before the fall semester, the UMass Lowell Kennedy College of Sciences wants to give you a chance to meet your classmates and build skills to help you succeed in computer science. We highly encourage students from multicultural backgrounds, first-generation students and women to take advantage of the program.
With SoarCS, you will:
- Learn coding skills and create an original project
- Meet faculty and staff who will welcome you to UMass Lowell
- Connect with new and returning students
- Participate in Red Hat's DevConf.US conference in September
- Make friends
Thanks to our sponsors, the program is free. Space is limited, so apply by Wednesday, June 14, 2023.
SoarCS will run in summer 2023 as a hybrid program with both on-campus and remote participation options!
SoarCS will take place from Monday, July 10, 2023 to Thursday, August 3, 2023. It's a hybrid program where Monday and Wednesday sessions are via Zoom and Thursdays are in-person on the UMass Lowell Campus (with a concurrent remote option). Each week we will have a live video tutorial, two panels and a wrap-up/share out. All sessions will be available later as recordings. We’ll also have optional activities that you can complete on your own schedule, and an always-open chat space.
Before we start, we will send you a package of materials, including a micro:bit miniature computer and a T-shirt. To participate in the program, you need a PC, Mac or Chromebook with internet access, and an iPhone or Android phone.
Here’s what to expect each week:
- Monday, 10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. – Weekly kickoff with new technology lesson and hands-on time (Virtual)
- Wednesday, 10:45 - 11:30 a.m. – Special event panel with question and answer (Q&A) that may include current CS students, industry alumni and faculty researchers (Virtual)
- Thursday, 10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. – Share-out of your work from this week; special event panel (On-campus with an option for joining remotely)
When we all get together on campus during the academic year, we will have more opportunities for learning.
SoarCS is made possible by the generous sponsorship of Red Hat, Teradyne and the Kennedy College of Sciences.