Complete and submit the account application. The Core Research Facilities (CRF) application form provides us with the information we need to manage your account. Please provide us with:
- account point of contact (person responsible for authorizing users within your organization to use our service,
- account payables contact (person who is responsible for receiving our invoices and coordinating payments) and
- signatory official (person authorized to sign contractual agreements on behalf of your organization).
The Core Research Facilities Agreement is sent electronically, using Echosign™, to the individual listed as the person authorize to sign contracts on behalf of your organization. (A cross copy is sent to the person who requested the account to be opened). The electronic signature program permits bi-lateral electronic signatures between the signatory officials at your organization and UMass Lowell. All parties receive an executed copy of the CRF Agreement for their records.
Upon bi-lateral execution of the CRF Agreement an account number and passphrase will be emailed to the account contact indicated on the application form. A user account is automatically generated for the account point of contact.
The account contact is responsible to inform all approved users of the Terms and Conditions of the Core Research Facility Agreement and agree to follow all University and Core Research Facilities guidelines and safety procedures. Non-compliant users will be suspended from using the CRF program and the account holder will be notified.
Account contact provides the organizations account number and passphrase to approved users. (This information is required in order to register as a user).
If you believe your organization has a CRF Account but are uncertain of the account contact, please call the CRF Business Office at 978-934-2676 or email: email@example.com.
Users complete the Online Application Form
Users are required to create a password for their user login credentials. The password needs to be at least eight characters. This password is encrypted and unreadable by anyone. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to have your password reset.
External user rates are established using a full cost-recovery model in accordance with government guidelines. Industry rates are posted on the Core Research Facilities website. Industry partners, academic and government rates are viewable upon user login to the CRF reservation system. Core Research Facilities are subsidized by UMass Lowell. The UMass Lowell subsidy is applied in our cost model prior to determining the direct cost allocation in our billing rates.
Rates include lab supplies*, stock materials, short-time use of the general laboratory ancillary and auxiliary equipment and tools.
In accordance with federal guidelines CRF user rates are reviewed on an annual basis to coincide with the University’s fiscal year. Published rates will be reviewed and possibly adjusted July 1 of each fiscal year.
- Note 1: Once users are certified, lab staff will provide minimal guidance (less than 10 minutes for each occurrence free of charge) for sample preparation, etc. Users requiring sample preparation must reserve “sample prep services” from the order menu.
- Note 2: *(Rates for the Nanofabrication Laboratory include gowning for one person. Gowning for additional guests must be ordered as an additional line item on the ordering system). Users of the experimental bays are required to prepay any and all related equipment installation and removal cost.
- Standard operating hours for are 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. The Nanofabrication Lab operates on a 7 a.m.-7 p.m. schedule.
- Instrument use outside standard hours may be coordinated with the Lab Director/Manager. After hours use of any CRF may be allowed on an emergency basis and not permitted without the approval of the Lab Manager/Director.
- There is no charge for general lab and safety training.
- Registered CRF users are required to complete training on instruments and be approved by the Lab Manager before registering for self-use. Users should schedule training close to when self-use will start. If there is a lapse of six (6) or more months between training and usage, users are required to re-train on the instrument.
- Instrument training rate is the combined rate of the hourly self-use rate use plus the blended bill-out labor rate.
- Instrument SOP’s and related documents are included under each specific instrument listing within the CRISP ™ system.
All “self-use” instrument users must complete Level 1 (UMass Lowell general training) and Level 2 (lab-specific safety training) prior to lab entry. Level 1 safety training may be completed on-line on the Environmental and Emergency Management (EEM) & Administrative Services website.
Level 2 safety training is to be coordinated with the specific Lab Director/Manager. There is no charge for safety training.
Orders & Reservations
- Our CRISP ™ database provides streamline searches, order placement and reservations. Using the calendar feature, users may request services (referred to as “assisted use”) to be fulfilled by our lab staff. For such orders, please designate a required due date. When reserving “self-use” hours, users request specific time slots for instrument and facilities use. The scheduling tool will inform users when there is a conflict in placing the reservation. Please do not make reservation when there is a schedule conflict with another user. Reservations may be made for all CRF using one order form. Shopping carts remain open in the order system until orders are submitted. Users may use the “notes” feature of the order form to communicate information or ask questions of the lab directors/managers.
- All order are reviewed and confirmed by the appropriate CRF lab directors/managers. Users will receive an email order confirmation. Order confirmation should be received within 8 business hours of the order request.
- Upon completion of an order, CRF lab staff closes the order in the CRISP™ database system. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the instruments performance or services rendered, please discuss with the specific CRF lab director/manager.
- A 24-hour cancellation policy is requested. Lab Director/Managers have the discretion to require a stricter cancellation policy based upon CRF activity. Users will be billed for “no-shows”.
- Purchase Order Number may be indicated under the “billing reference” field on the order form. Please do not send us your purchase order. The Terms and Conditions of use of the UMass Lowell Core Research Facilities are agreed to in accordance with bi-lateral execution of the Core Research Facilities Agreement.
- Assisted: Assisted use is a service provided by the Core Research Facility. Our professionally trained staff will operate the reserved instrument and provide the data obtained to the user. When a more extensive analysis, interpretation or expertise is required, users are to reserve “Lab Staff Analysis and Service” time in addition to instrument assisted- use time.
- Training: All self-users are required to complete the prescribed training requirements listed in the description field for each instrument. Users with experience using an instrument must receive a training waiver and prove competency to the appropriate lab director/manager.
- Self-use: Certified users may reserve instrument self-use time. NOTE: Once users are certified, lab staff will provide minimal guidance (less than 10 minutes for each occurrence free of charge) for sample preparation, etc. Users requiring sample preparation must reserve “sample prep services” from the order menu.
Invoices and Payments
- Monthly invoices will be emailed to the account billing contact and account point of contact.
- Payments for external accounts may be made by check or credit card. We accept VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Payment terms are NET 30. Accounts and user accounts with outstanding payments greater than 60 days may be suspended.