Organizational authenticity, organizational identity, corporate sustainability and responsibility, stakeholder engagement, business ethics, humanistic management, qualitative methods.
Stakeholder perceptions of organizational authenticity within the global domains of sustainability and corporate responsibility; key dynamics among stakeholders, leadership, and organizations in strategic social issue contexts.
- Ph D: Management & Organization, (2014), Boston College, Carroll School of Management (CSOM) - Chestnut Hill, MA
Dissertation/Thesis Title: The social construction of organizational authenticity by stakeholders
- MS: Organization Studies, (2010), BOSTON COLLEGE, Carroll School of Management (CSOM) - Chestnut Hill, MA
- MBA: Business Administration,, (2009), Simmons Graduate School of Management - Boston, MA
Supporting Area: Highest Honors
- BA: Russian & East European Studies, (2007), Middlebury College - Middlebury, VT
Erica L. Steckler (Twitter: @EricaSteckler) is an Assistant Professor of Management in the Robert J. Manning School of Business (MSB) at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. She received her Ph.D. from the Department of Management and Organization at Boston College. Her recent research focuses on stakeholder perceptions of organizational authenticity within the global domains of sustainability and corporate responsibility. Situated at the intersection of organizational theory, strategic management, and social innovation, this work builds on and extends theories of organizational identity, institutional theory, and social change. Overall, her research contributes to an understanding of key dynamics among organizations, leadership, and stakeholders in strategic social issue contexts.
The recipient of the 2015 Best Dissertation Award by the Academy of Management Social Issues in Management (SIM) Division, her work has been published in the Journal of Business of Ethics, Business and Society Review, Journal of Corporate Citizenship, and in edited volumes. She is a member of the Editorial Board of the Academy of Management Review (AMR) and a Research Fellow at the W. Michael Hoffman Center for Business Ethics at Bentley University. Prior to joining the MSB Management Department, she was a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Management and Organizational Development Group at Northeastern University and a Post-Doctoral Visiting Research Scholar at Bentley University's Hoffman Center.
Awards and Honors
- Best Dissertation Award – Academy of Management (2015) - Social Issues in Management (SIM) Division
- Steckler, E. () "A Contingency Approach to Competitive Response in the Corporate Responsibility Domain," Academy of Management 2015: pp. 12563
- Steckler, E., Buckman, B.R., Leroy, H., Freeman, R.E., Hewlin, P.F., Pratt, M.G., Roberts, L.M. (2016) "Authenticity, Meaning & Organizations: Challenges & Channels for Advancing Authenticity Research. ," Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
- Neal, J. (2013) "Epilogue: Where Do We Go from Here?," Springer pp. 733-739
- Altman, Y. (2013) "Soul of a Leader (Crossroad, 2008) and coeditor of The Soul of Supervision (Morehouse, 2010). Dr. Bene fi el has also written for The Leadership Quarterly, Management Communication Quarterly, Managerial Finance, Journal of Organizational Change Management, Organization, Personal Excellence, and numerous other journals," Handbook of Faith and Spirituality in the Workplace pp. 741
- Waddock, S., Steckler, E. (2013) "Wisdom, Spirituality, Social Entrepreneurs, and Self-Sustaining Practices: What Can We Learn from Difference Makers?," Springer pp. 285-301
- Neal, J. (2012) "Handbook of faith and spirituality in the workplace: emerging research and practice," Springer Science & Business Media!!!
- Branzei, O. (2012) "Krista K. Badiane is a Doctoral Candidate in the School of Natural Resources and Environment at the University of Michigan. Krista is also a Graham Doctoral Fellow and Frederick A. and Barbara M. Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise affiliate. Her research interests include sustainability and social change in organizations," Using a Positive Lens to Explore Social Change and Organizations: Building a Theoretical and Research Foundation
- Steckler, E., Bartunek, J.M. (2012) "Revealing themes: Applying a positive lens to the chapters on change agency," Using a Positive Lens to Explore Social Change and Organizations: Building a Theoretical and Research Foundation pp. 113
- Dutton, J.E., Golden-Biddle, K., Feldman, E. (2012) "The Call: Why a Book Now on Using a Positive Lens to Explore Social Change and Organizations?," Routledge pp. 3-8
- Steckler, E., Torbert, W. (2010) "A “developmental action inquiry” approach to teaching first-, second-, and third-person action research methods," Integral education: New directions for higher learning pp. 105-126
- Esbjörn-Hargens, S. (2010) "Integral education: New directions for higher learning," SUNY Press
- Bronson, M.C. (2010) "Listed Alphabetically Ramon V. Albareda is a clinical psychologist and theologian. He is the founder of ESTEL School of Integral Studies, Barcelona, Spain. He is the cocreator of Holistic Integration, an integral approach to psychospiritual growth and healing, and the coauthor of Nacidos de la Tierra: Sexualidad, Origen del Ser Humano (Hogar del," Integral Education: New Directions for Higher Learning pp. 363
- Esbjörn-Hargens, S., Reams, J., Gunnlaugson, O. (2010) "The emergence and characteristics of integral education," Integral education. State University of New York Press, Albany pp. 1-16
- Authenticity, Meaning & Organizations: Challenges & Channels for Advancing Authenticity Research. - All-Academy Research Symposium, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2016
- Making Organizations Meaningful- Rethinking Management around Dignity and Well-being. - All-Academy Research Symposium, Academy of Management Annual Meeting. , 2016
- Feeling Good about Me or Influence Others Positively? Exploring Tensions in Authenticity Research. - MOC/OB/GSO-Sponsored Research Symposium, Academy of Management Annual Meeting. , 2016
- A contingency approach to competitive response in the corporate responsibility domain., 2015 - Vancouver, Canada.
- Co-organizer of a Caucus: Managing for authenticity: Building a research community., 2015 - Vancouver, Canada.
- Co-organizer of a PDW: Exemplary practices: Reinvention of teaching methods, developing authenticity, curriculum innovation., 2015 - Vancouver, Canada.
- Constructing organizational authenticity - Positive Organizational Scholarship conference, 2015 - Orlando, FL.
- Beyond lip service: Exploring stakeholder constructions of organizational authenticity - Academy of Management, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA.
- Co-Chair and organizer of a MOC/OB-sponsored Symposium: Walking the talk: Advancing the concept of authenticity across levels of analysis. - Academy of Management, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA.
- Discussant for the SIM-sponsored Symposium: Becoming an intellectual shaman: Tackling big ideas around social, ecological, and economic issues. - Academy of Management, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA.
- Intraorganizational institutional variance: Defining sustainability within the organization - Academy of Management, 2014 - Philadelphia, PA.
- Managing contradiction in business and society: Stockholder and stakeholder views of the firm as paradoxical opportunity., 2014 - Philadelphia, PA.
- Managing contradiction in business and society: Stockholder and stakeholder views of the firm as paradoxical opportunity. - 29th European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, 2013 - Montreal
- Speaker in an All-Academy PDW: Capitalism in crisis and other conundrums: Tackling the big questions. - Academy of Management, 2013 - Orlando, FL.
- Rhetoric, sustainability, and the corporate institutional field. - American Sociological Association, 2013 - New York, NY
- Sustainability cues and stakeholder considerations of organizational authenticity - Eastern Academy of Management-International conference, 2013 - Seville, Spain
- Toward a theory of organizational authenticity from a stakeholder perspective. - Academy of Management, 2012 - Boston, MA.
- Look or leap: Vision development in the social entrepreneur. - 27th European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, 2011 - Gothenburg, Sweden
- Rhetoric and sustainability: an examination of institutional logic. - 27th European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, 2011 - Gothenburg, Sweden
- Sustaining self through retreats: A sustain-ability framework for the social entrepreneur over time. - 8th Annual Stern-NYU Conference on Social Entrepreneurship, 2011 - New York, NY
- Good bedfellows? The co-mingling of stockholder and stakeholder logics. - Academy of Management, 2011 - San Antonio, TX
- Seeing the forest and the trees: a sustainability framework for the social entrepreneur over time. - 16th International Symposium on Ethics, Business and Society, Towards a New Humanistic Synthesis, IESE, University of Navarra, 2010 - Barcelona, Spain
- Speaker in an All- Academy Symposium: Tightrope walking dare-to-care devils: Difference makers, edgewalkers, and intellectual shamans. - Academy of Management, 2010 - Montreal
- The emergence and evolution of a corporate responsibility identity. - Academy of Management, 2010 - Montreal
- Difference makers who built the corporate responsibility infrastructure: Developing vision and sustaining action. - Interdisciplinary Committee on Organizational Studies (ICOS), University of Michigan, November 2010 - Ann Arbor, MI
- Making a difference: Difference makers, edgewalkers, and intellectual shamans. - Lewis Institute Lecture Series, Babson College, October 2010 - Waltham, MA
- Chair and co-organizer of an All-Academy Symposium: Corporate social responsibility from the ground up: Cultivating an employee-centered perspective. - Academy of Management, 2009 - Chicago, IL
- Speaker in an All-Academy Symposium: Greening matters: Shaping and sustaining a new vision of the future. - Academy of Management, 2009 - Chicago, IL
- Bein’ green: the emergence of a corporate environmentalism macroculture. - Academy of Management, 2008 - Anaheim, CA
- Beyond compliance: Linking leadership and corporate social responsibility. - Academy of Management, 2007 - Philadelphia, PA
Research Currently in Progress
Authenticity interpretive occasions: A longitudinal view. Status: Developing manuscript
from dissertation; preparing for submission to Academy of Management Journal (Winter
The path of considerable resistance: Integrating critical stakeholder perspectives for
authentic organizational transformation. Status: Drafting.
Memetic contestation in stakeholders’ interpretations of sustainability.
Status: Developing manuscript from dissertation; preparing for submission to the Journal of
Organizational Behavior (Fall 2015).
Steckler, E., Waddock, S.
The social construction of organizational authenticity. Status: Developing manuscript
from dissertation; preparing for submission to Administrative Science Quarterly (Fall 2015).
A contingency model of competitive response in the corporate
responsibility domain. Status: Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Academy of
Management (2015); preparing for submission to Strategic Management Journal (Fall 2015).
Steckler, E., Subramaniam, M.