Tony Gao conducts research on management of customer relationships, marketing innovations, and international marketing. He has published in Journal of Business Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Business Horizons, Journal of International Marketing, Journal of Service Research, Thunderbird International Business Review, Multinational Business Review, Industrial Marketing Management, and Journal of Advertising Research, among other journals.
Prior to joining the Manning School of Business, Tony served on the business school faculties of Northeastern University and University of Victoria and had working experience with the China branch of Mitsubishi Corporation (a general trading company in Japan) in the areas of international trade and joint venture developments. Tony’s views on marketing, China, and international business issues have been quoted by media outlets such as BusinessWeek, Financial Times, Forbes, UPI , CIO, Consumer Digest, and Boston Globe.
- McGinnis, L., Gao, T., Jun, S., Gentry, J.W. (2017) "Motivational Bases for Consumers’ Underdog Affection in Commerce," Journal of Service Management 28:3 pp. 563-592.
- Shi, L.H., Gao, T. (2016) "Performance Effects of Global Account Coordination Mechanisms: An Integrative Study of Boundary Conditions," Journal of International Marketing 24:2 pp. 1–21.
- Gao, T., Rohm, A.J., Sultan, F., Pagani, M. (2013) "Consumers Un-Tethered: A Three-Market Empirical Study of Consumers’ Mobile Marketing Acceptance," Journal of Business Research 66:12 pp. 2535-2544.
- McGinnis, L.P., Gentry, J.W., Gao, T. (2012) "Antecedents to Consumer Perceptions of Sacredness in Extended Service Experiences: The Case of Golf," Journal of Service Research 15:4 pp. 474-488.
- Rohm, A.J., Gao, T., Sultan, F., Pagani, M. (2012) "Brand in the Hand: A Cross-Market Investigation of Consumer Acceptance of Mobile Marketing," Business Horizons 55:5 pp. 485-493.
- Gao, T., Leichter, G., Wei, Y. (2012) "Countervailing Effects of Value and Risk Perceptions in Manufacturers’ Adoption of Expensive, Discontinuous Innovations," Industrial Marketing Management 41:4 pp. 659-668.
- Gao, T., Rohm, A.J., Sultan, F., Huang, S. (2012) "Antecedents of Consumer Attitudes toward Mobile Marketing: A Comparative Study of Youth Markets in the United States and China," Thunderbird International Business Review 54:2 pp. 211-224.
- Gao, T., Shi, L.H. (2011) "How Do Multinational Suppliers Formulate Mechanisms of Global Account Coordination? An Integrative Framework and Empirical Study," Journal of International Marketing 19:4 pp. 61-87.
- Wei, Y., Frankwick, G.L., Gao, T., Zhou, N. (2011) "Consumer Adoption Intentions Toward the Internet in China: The Effects of Impersonal and Interpersonal Communication Channels," Journal of Advertising Research 51:4 pp. 594-607.
- Schakett, T., Flaschner, A., Gao, T., El-Ansary, A. (2011) "Effects of Social Bonding in Business-to-Business Relationships," Journal of Relationship Marketing 10:4 pp. 264-280.
- Gao, T., Sirgy, M.J., Johar, J. (2010) "Developing a Measure to Capture Marketing Faculty’s Perceptions of Unethical Behavior," Journal of Business Research 63:4 pp. 366-371.
- Gao, T., Sarraf, T.E. (2009) "What Causes Multinational Companies to Increase Resource Commitments During Financial Crises in Emerging Markets?," Multinational Business Review 17:2 pp. 10-22.
- Sultan, F., Rohm, A.J., Gao, T. (2009) "Factors Influencing Consumer Acceptance of Mobile Marketing: A Two-Country Study of Youth Markets," Journal of Interactive Marketing 23:4 pp. 308-320.
- McGinnis, L.P., Gentry, J.W., Gao, T. (2008) "The Impact of Flow and Communitas on Enduring Involvement in Extended Service Encounters," Journal of Service Research 11:1 pp. 74-90.
- Sirgy, M.J., Johar, J.S., Gao, T. (2006) "Toward A Code of Ethics for Marketing Educators," Journal of Business Ethics 63:1 pp. 1-20.
- Gao, T., Sirgy, M.J., Bird, M.M. (2005) "Reducing Buyer Decision-Making Uncertainty in Organizational Purchasing: Can Supplier Trust, Commitment, and Dependence Help?," Journal of Business Research 58:4 pp. 397-405.
- Lee, K.S., Gao, T. (2005) "Studying Organizational Commitment with the OCQ in the Korean Retail Context; Its Dimensionality and Relationships with Satisfaction and Work Outcomes," The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research 15:4 pp. 375-399.
- Gao, T., Eshaghoff, T. (2004) "MNCs’ Preferred Responses to the Argentine Financial Crisis: A Classification and Empirical Investigation," Latin American Business Review 5:1 pp. 23-44.
- Gao, T. (2004) "The Contingency Framework of Foreign Entry Mode Decisions: Locating and Reinforcing the Weakest Link," Multinational Business Review 12:1 pp. 37-68.