Skip to Main Content

Legal Help

The following list does not represent an endorsement by the University. You are always encouraged to make your own decision based on the particulars of your personal situation. We also recommend that you check the Massachusetts Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service.

Note: International Students & Scholars on a legal UMass Lowell issued F-1, J-1, H-1B, O-1, TN, OPT/STEM visa document, should contact the International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO) for assistance. ISSO can be reached at or 978-934-2383.

This information can also be downloaded as a pdf. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view any pdf files. It can be download for free from the Adobe website.

When viewing this page your mobile device, please click on the arrow to the top right of the title to access the dropdown menu and select another resource.

for Students, Faculty and Staff

American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) Website - immigration attorney search

Graves & Doyle Attorneys at Law
100 State Street, 9th floor Boston, MA 02109
Phone: 617-542-6400
Graves & Doyle Attorneys at Law Website

Savitz Law Offices, P.C.
6 Beacon Street, Ste. 900, Boston, MA 02108
Phone: 617-723-7111
Savitz Law Offices, P.C. Website

Adrienne Vaughan
1895 Centre Street, W. Roxbury, MA 02132
Phone: 617-840-8515
Adrienne Vaughan's Website

Criminal Defense Attorney

Leonore Glaser
45 Bromfield Street, Suite 500, Boston, MA 02108
Phone: 617-742-5800

These local immigration clinics are offered by reputable immigration attorneys in the Boston area. They are free, and donations are accepted.

Note that during consultations, attorneys are not able to review or complete any forms. The clinics are tentatively held at five locations. Please contact the IIIC in advance to confirm the time and location of the event that you wish to attend. Review the below link for a list of the upcoming clinics.

Including Local Resources

Asian-American Civic Association
200 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02139
Phone: 617-426-9492
Asian-American Civic Association of Boston Website

Cambodian Mutual Assistance Association of Lowell
465 School Street, Lowell, MA 01851
Phone: 978-454-6200
Cambodian Mutual Assistance Association of Lowell Website

Catholic Charities / Haitian Multi-Services Center Refugee Program
12 Bicknell Street, Dorchester, MA 02121
Phone: 617-436-2848 / 617-282-0620
Catholic Charities - Archdiocese of Boston Website

Catholic Charities Refugee and Immigration Services
270 Washington Street, Somerville, MA 02143
Languages: English, Haitian Creole, Spanish, Vietnamese
Fees: Sliding scale, Flat fee
Special Focus: Family-based visas and Naturalization
Catholic Charities - Archdiocese of Boston Website

Catholic Charities of Worcester, Refugee Resettlement Program
15 Ripley Street, Worcester, MA 01610
Phone: 508-798-0191
Fees: Donation requested
Catholic Charities - Worcester County Website

Cambridge Lawyers Group
144 Merrimack St., Lowell, MA 01852
Phone: 978-454-0666

Centro Presente
54 Essex Street, 2nd Floor, Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone: 617-497-9080
Centro Presente Website

International Institute of New England - Lowell
15 Warren Street, 2nd Floor, Lowell, MA 01852
Phone: 978-459-9031
International Institute of New England Website

New Hampshire Alliance of Immigrants and Refugees
146 Lowell Street, Manchester, NH 03104
Phone 617-350-5480

Northeast Legal Aid
35 John Street, Ste. 302, Lowell, MA 01852
Phone: 978-458-1465
Northeast Legal Aid Website

National Council of Jewish Women, Immigration and Naturalization Office
145 Brownell Ave, New Bedford, MA 02740
Fees: Free
Special Focus: Assistance to refugees; Naturalization
National Council of Jewish Women Website

Political Asylum / Immigration Representation Project (PAIR) Project
14 Beacon Street, Suite 804A, Boston, MA 02108
Phone: 617-742-9296
Political Asylum / Immigration Representation Project (PAIR) Project Website

Saheli, South Asian Women & Family Support Services
11 Bedford Street Burlington, MA (locations in Ouincy, & Shrewsbury)  
Phone: 866-472-4354
Saheli website

On-Line Resources