Applied Behavior Analysis
My research interests focus on three central themes:
Contemporary extensions of B.F. Skinner's analysis of verbal behavior as it relates to language skills in applied settings. Primarily, this body of work evaluates teaching procedures that help establish or expand upon the verbal repertoires of children with disabilities and of typically developing children learning a second language.
Systematic evaluation of training strategies for direct care staff and other caregivers working with various special needs populations. Studies are focused on designing effective means by which to deliver the training required to improve the implementation and treatment integrity of behavioral assessments and interventions.
Evaluation and application of empirically driven teaching methods that enhance the university classroom experience by promoting student engagement and learning.
- Ph D: Rehabilitation (Specialization in Applied Behavior Analysis), (), Southern Illinois University - Carbondale, Illinois
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Establishing Symmetry-Like Relations in Preschool Children Learning a Second Language.
- MS: Behavior Analysis and Therapy, (2005), Southern Illinois University - Carbondale, Illinois
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Contriving Transitive Conditioned Establishing Operations to Establish Derived Manding Skills in Adults with Severe Developmental Disabilities.
- BA: Physcology, (2001), Univeristy of Nevada - Nevada, Reno
Supporting Area: Human Development and Family Studies; French
Awards and Honors
- Teaching Excellence (2017), Teaching - University of Massachusetts Lowell, Department of Psychology
- Golden Key International Honors Society (2007)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society (2006)
- Martocchio, N., Rocio, R. (2016) "An evaluation of pyramidal training to teach implementation of the picture exchange communication system.," Behavioral Interventions 31:3 pp. 265 - 282
- Querol, B.I., Rocio, R., Soldner, J.L. (2015) "A comprehensive review of interteaching and its impact on student learning and satisfaction," Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Psychology 1:4 pp. 390-411
- Rocio, R., Gongola, L., Homlitas, C. (2015) "An evaluation of video modeling with embedded instructions to teach implementation of stimulus preference assessments," Journal of applied behavior analysis 1 pp. 209
- Homlitas, C., Rosales, R., Candel, L. (2014) "A further evaluation of behavioral skills training for implementation of the picture exchange communication system.," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis 47:1 pp. 198 - 203
- Vallinger-Brown, M., Rosales, R. (2014) "An Investigation of Stimulus Pairing and Listener Training to Establish Emergent Intraverbals in Children with Autism.," Analysis of Verbal Behavior (Springer Science & Business Media B.V.) 30:2 pp. 148
- Rocio, R., Maderitz, C., Garcia, Y.A. (2014) "Comparison of simple and complex auditory-visual conditional discrimination training," Journal of applied behavior analysis 47:2 pp. 437-442
- Rocio, R., Soldner, J.L., Crimando, W. (2014) "Enhancing the Impact of Quality Points in Interteaching," Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 14:5 pp. 1-11
- Gongola, L., Barton, L.E., Gongola, R.J., Rosales, R., Speece, A. (2014) "Using private blog sites to collect interobserver agreement and treatment integrity data.," Behavioral Development Bulletin 19:1 pp. 30 - 34
- Iskander, J.M., Rosales, R. (2013) "An evaluation of the components of a Social Stories intervention package.," Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 7: pp. 1 - 8
- Rocio, R., Rehfeldt, R.A., Huffman, N. (2012) "Examining the utility of the stimulus pairing observation procedure with preschool children learning a second language.," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis 45:1 pp. 173 - 177
- Rocio, R., Rehfeldt, R.A., Lovett, S. (2011) "Effects of multiple exemplar training on the emergence of derived relations in preschool children learning a second language.," Analysis of Verbal Behavior 27: pp. 61 - 74
- Rocio, R., Worsdell, A., Trahan, M. (2010) "Comparison of methods for varying item presentation during noncontingent reinforcement.," Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 4:3 pp. 367 - 376
- Dixon, M.R., Jackson, J.W., Small, S.L., Horner-King, M.J., Lik, N.M., Garcia, Y., Rocio, R. (2009) "Creating single-subject design graphs in Microsoft Excel™ 2007.," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis 42:2 pp. 277 - 293
- Rocio, R., Stone, K., Rehfeldt, R.A. (2009) "The effects of behavioral skills training on implementation of the picture exchange communication system.," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis 42:3 pp. 541 - 549
- Rocio, R., Rehfeldt, R.A. (2007) "Contriving transitive conditioned establishing operations to establish derived manding skills in adults with severe developmental disabilities.," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis 40:1 pp. 105 - 121
- Dixon, M.R., Small, S.L., Rocio, R. (2007) "Extended analysis of empirical citations with Skinner’s Verbal Behavior: 1984-2004.," The Behavior Analyst 30:2 pp. 197 - 209
- Donohue, B., Strada, M.J., Rocio, R., Taylor-Caldwell, A., Hise, D., Ahman, S., Lefforge, N.L., Kopof, M., Devore, G., Soares, B., Radkovich, B., Laino, R. (2006) "The Semistructured Interview for Consideration of Ethnic Culture in Therapy Scale: Initial Psychometric and Outcome Support.," Behavior Modification 30:6 pp. 867 - 891
- A first look at ABA service delivery for Latino families with a child with Autism. - Conference, January 2017 - San Juan, PR
- Effects of bilingual instruction for a child with communication impairment. - Conference, January 2017 - San Juan, PR