International Relations and Comparative Politics
Middle East and North Africa: Comparative Democratization
Muslim World: Islamic Activism, Religion and Politics
"Democratization" in the Muslim/Middle East World
Intellectual and Cultural Exchange between the Middle East/Muslim World and the West
Muslim Women's Contribution to Muslim Legal Thought (Fiqh)
- Ph D: Political Science, (1995), University of Maryland - College Park, MD
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Social Justice According to Islamic Law: A Comparative Study of Islamic Activism in Egypt, Algeria, and Turkey
- MA: International Relations, (1992), University of Maryland - College Park, MD
Supporting Area: Development and Domestic Conflict in the Third World
- BA: Political Science, (1986), American University in Cairo - Cairo, Egypt
Supporting Area: Sociology
Awards and Honors
- Invited to give a lecture about Syria and the Arab Spring (2013) - Nashua Public Library
- Member of the Senior Search Committee (2012) - International Relations position in the Political Science Department, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- reviewer for book proposals (2012) - Oxford University Press
- Panel Discussant, "Middle East Confrontations: A Clash of Politics and Culture" (2012) - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Interviewed on WCAP-AM's (2012) - WCAP-AM's, "What's Up, UMass Lowell?"
- Speaker at a monthly lecture series (2012) - Chelmsford Library
- "Advancing Research, Scholarship, and Creative Work Seed Grant", (2011), Scholarship/Research - UML
- Center for Women and Work associate member (2011) - Center for Women and Work, UML
- faculty advisor (2011) - Muslim Student Association
- Invited to be on the editorial board (2011) - Digest of Middle East Studies
- Planning and participating on a campus wide event: "We Are Egypt" (2011) - UML
- Faculty member on a student focus group (2011) - "Democratic U.S. Senate Candidate Debate"
- Invited to speak at a roundtable discussion (2011) - North American Islamic Legal Council (FCNA-Fiqh Council of North America)
- Faculty member (2011) - 9/11 commemoration forum
- Invitation to train teachers at the Council on Middle East Studies (2011) - The MacMillan Center, Yale University
- Speaker at a monthly lecture series (2011) - Chelmsford Library
- Panel Discussant, "Egypt's Future: Reflections and Dialogue" (2011) - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Member of the founding committee of the Global Studies PhD Program (2010) - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Member of the founding committee of the MA/MS degree program in Security Studies (2010) - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Member of the founding committee for the Peace and Conflict Studies BA/MA (2009) - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Member of the Senior Search Committee (2009) - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Best Teacher Award (1990)
- Nominated for Best Teacher Award (1990), Teaching - University of Maryland University College
- « Awarded an RA (1990)
- « Awarded an RA (1989)
- Abdelkader, D., Adiong, N.M., Mauriello, R. (2016) "Islam and international relations : contributions to theory and practice,"
- Abdelkader, D. (2016) "Modernity, Islam, and Religious Activism," Religion, Education and Governance in the Middle East: Between Tradition and Modernity pp. 31
- Elshahat, B., Gill, H., Filipyev, I., Shrestha, S., Hesser, J., Kumar, J., Karellas, A., Zygmanski, P., , .S. (2014) "Nanometric Organic Photovoltaic Thin Film X-Ray Detectors for Clinical KVp Beams," Medical Physics 41:6 pp. 384-385
- Abdelkader, D. (2011) "Coercion, Peace, and the Issue of Jihad," DOMES: Digest of Middle East Studies 20:2 pp. 178-185
- Abdelkader, D. (2011) "Islamic activists [electronic resource] : the anti-enlightenment democrats / Deina Ali Abdelkader,"
- Abdelkader, D. (2010) "Arguing the Just War in Islam - By John Kelsay," DOMES: Digest of Middle East Studies 19:2 pp. 309-310
- Abdelkader, D. (2009) "Modernity and the Principle of Public Welfare in Islamic Law," Conference Papers -- Northeastern Political Science Association pp. 1
- Abdelkader, D. (2003) "Modernity, the Principles of Public Welfare ( masdotulahdotu) and the End Goals of Sharhamza ( maqsdotuid ) in Muslim Legal Thought," Islam & Christian-Muslim Relations 14:2 pp. 163
- - Democratization from a Comparative Perspective, April 2013 - San Francisco
- - Religion and Politics in the Middle East panel Discussant, April 2013 - San Francisco
- - Faith, Reason, and Contemporary Political Thought, November 2012 - Denver, Colorado.
- - The Arab Spring and Democracy: Where are the women?, November 2012
- - Islamic Law, Democratization and Public Welfare, September 2012 - Minneapolis, Minnesota
- - Beyond Religion and Ideology: Political Activism and Mass Mobilization in the Global South", April 2012 - San Diego
- - Religion and Modernity in the Middle East: A Paradigmatic Approach, April 2012 - San Diego
- - The Information Age and the Middle East Revolutions of 2011: The Case of Egypt", April 2012 - San Diego
- - Thomas Aquinas' Common Good and al-Shatibi's Public Welfare, October 2011 - Universidad Panamericana, Mexico City
- - Western Liberal Political Thought and the Stillborn God, July 2011 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- - Modernity, Islam and Religious Activism, March 2011 - Montreal, Canada
- - Muslim Immigration to Western Europe: The Conflict between Pluralism and the Stillborn God, March 2011 - Montreal, Canada
- - The Anti-Enlightenment Democrats, February 2011 - Washington DC.
- - Democracy and Foreign Policy, November 2010 - Boston, Mass.
- - Perspectives on Religion and Foreign Policy, November 2010 - Boston, Mass.
- - Thomas Aquinas Common Good and al-Shatibiês Public Welfare, November 2010 - Boston, Mass.
- - Western Liberal Political Thought and the Stillborn God, May 2010 - Salamanca, Spain
- - Western Liberal Political Thought and the Stillborn God, April 2010 - Newport, RI
- - Modernity and the Concept of Public Welfare in Islamic Law, November 2009 - Philadelphia
- - Islam and Contemporary Notions of Power, Law and Democracy, 2006 - Philadelphia
- - Globalizing Democracy in the Middle East, June 2005 - Boston
- - Enlightenment Rationality, Islam and Democracy in Egypt, April 2005 - Cambridge
- - Islam and Democracy: Are They Compatible?, November 2004 - Cambridge, MA
- - Social Justice and Islamic Social Consciousness as a Comparative Variable, November 2004 - Boston
- - Modernity, Globalization and Islam, July 2004 - Oxford University, Oxford, England
- - Gender Equality, Modernity and Islamic Law, April 2004 - El-Khartoum, Sudan
- - Abu Ishaq al-Shatibi and his Influence on Muslim Spain, 2003 - Budapest, Hungary
- - Modernity And Public Welfare, 2003 - Anchorage, Alaska
- - Modernity and Muslim Legal Thought, 2002 - Mainz, Germany
- - Common Roots: A Comparison between Social Contactarianism and the End Goals of Shari'ah (Al-Maqasid), 2000 - London England
- - Jihad: Is it a Neglected Duty?, 1993 - Portland, Oregon
- - The Islamic Revival and the Importance of Studying Islamic Law to Understand some of the Theoretical Issues Pertaining to Social Justice in Muslim Societies, 1993 - Herndon, Virginia
- - Negotiations in Islam, 1992 - Antalya, Turkey
- Copyright - Abdelkader, D."The Anti-Enlightenment Democrats,"
- Copyright - International Institute of Islamic Thought, ."Social Justice in Islam,"
Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- "Advancing Research, Scholarship, and Creative Work Seed Grant", (2011), Grant -