American Literature of the 19th and 20th Centuries; Southern Literature; American Poetry
Southern Literary and Cultural Studies
Critical Race Studies
Construction or Regional Identites
Ethics and Politics of Cultural Memory
- BA: En, John Carroll University
- MA: English, John Carroll University
- Ph D: English, University of South Carolina
Anthony Szczesiul's research interests include American poetry, Nineteenth and Twentieth century American literature, and Southern literary and cultural studies. His book, Racial Politics and Robert Penn Warren’s Poetry (UP of Florida, 2002) received a "Choice Outstanding Academic Title" award in 2003. His articles have appeared in journals such as American Transcendental Quarterly, Walt Whitman Quarterly Review, Mississippi Quarterly, Style, and European Journal of American Culture. He recently chaired the Society for the Study of Southern Literature’s C. Hugh Holman Book Award Committee, and he is currently completing a book titled The Myth of Southern Hospitality: Discourse, Ethics, and Politics, which is under contract with the University of Georgia Press for its "New Southern Studies" series.
- Szczesiul, A. (2017) "The Southern Hospitality Myth: Ethics, Politics, Race, and American Memory ,"
- Szczesiul, A. (2011) "Reconstructing Southern Hospitality," University Press of Mississippi
- Szczesiul, A. (2007) "Re-mapping southern hospitality: Discourse, ethics, politics," European Journal of American Culture 26:2 pp. 127-141
- Szczesiul, A. (2002) "Racial Politics and Robert Penn Warren's Poetry (University Press of Florida, 2002),"
- Szczesiul, A. (2002) "The conservative aesthetic of Warren's early poetry," Style 36:2
- Szczesiul, A. (2001) "Language Barrier: Robert Penn Warren at the ‘Inevitable Frontier’ of Postmodernism," An Annual of Robert Penn Warren Studies 1 (2001): pp. 1-25
- Szczesiul, A. (1998) "The immolation of influence: Aesthetic conflict in Robert Penn Warren's poetry," Mississippi Quarterly 52:1
- Szczesiul, A. (1996) "The Canonization of Tom and Eva: Catholic Hagiography and Uncle Ton's Cabin," ATQ-American Transcendetal Quarterly 10: pp. 59-72
- Szczesiul, A. (1994) "Robert Penn Warren's Audubon: Vision and Revision," Mississippi Quarterly 47 (Winter 1993-94): pp. 3-14
- Szczesiul, A. (1993) "The maturing vision of Walt Whitman's 1871 version of Drum-Taps," Walt Whitman quarterly review 10:3 pp. 127-141
- Szczesiul, A., Library, T.C. (1992) "Walt Whitman: A Centenary Exhibition,"