Technology and fine art, hybridization of digital and traditional mediums with organic materials, the observation of natural forms and biological systems in conjunction with cultural symbolism, mythology, folklore.
- Exploring the intersection of technology with fine art, often bringing together their methodologies in one artwork, such as installing digital sculpture with organic materials such as soil.
- Investigating new aesthetics and processes in art-making by exploring the hybridization of traditional art-making with unconventional or unexpected material choices and approaches.
- Observing natural forms and biological systems in conjunction with their cultural symbolism, mythology, and folklore.
- MFA: Sculpture, (2002), Rhode Island School of Design - Providence, RI
- BA: Double Major in Studio Art and Philosophy, (1997), Duke University - Durham, NC
Prior to joining UMass Lowell, Oda was an associate professor in the Department of Digital Art and Design at the New York Institute of Technology. Her artwork has been exhibited at SIGGRAPH Asia 2016 (Macao), Dumbo Arts Festival (NY), Cavin Morris Gallery (NY), Beijing Today Art Museum, Maki Fine Arts (Tokyo), Annemarie Sculpture Garden and Art Center (MD), the Rhode Island School of Design Museum, among others. Oda's animation, "Take Off" was a finalist in the international animation competition “Artport: Cool Stories for When the Planet Gets Hot,” and screened internationally at the Film Society of Lincoln Center in New York, DIA Center (NY), Art Supermarket (Stockholm), Art Miami Basel (FL), Bridge Art Fair (NY), Diva Art Fair (Paris) and Scope Art Fair (Basel/NY). Oda was an artist resident at the Vermont Studio Center, Chashama North, Goetemann Residency, and Byrdcliffe Artist Residency.
Artistic and Professional Performances and Exhibits
- "Flying" Non-Academic - International, Art - Arts Festival (Dumbo Arts Festival) - Brooklyn, NY, USA
- "Stronger Together" Academic - National, Art - Exhibition, Group (Creative Tech Week) - New York, NY
- Mediated Aesthetics Exhibition, "Unbearable Lightness and Heaviness of Being" Academic - International, Art - Art Works in Publication - Yuko Oda (New York Institute of Technology) - Macau, China