Checklist for New Students:

(Never received GI Bill® benefits)

  • Send application to VA to start educational benefits with VA form 22-1990
  • Apply to UMass Lowell for degree or certificate program
  • If transferring credits, send official transcripts to UMass Lowell Admissions
  • Provide Veterans' Benefits Coordinator (VBC) at UMass Lowell with required documentation
  • Contact VBC when registered for classes
  • Verify attendance with the VA monthly

Checklist for Transfer Students:

(Previously received GI Bill® benefits at another school)

  • Fill out VA Change form VA 22-1995
  • Apply to UMass Lowell for degree or certificate 
  • Send official transcripts to Admissions
  • Provide VBC at UMass Lowell with required documentation 
  • Contact VBC each semester once registered for classes
  • Verify attendance with VA monthly

UMass Lowell Required Documentation:

  • All students receiving Chapter 33-30-1607(REAP)-1606 must submit Certificate of Eligibility (COE) (VA Form 22-0557). In addition to the COE, submit one of the following to Veteran's Benefits Coordinator:
  • DD214 – Discharge Papers (Member 4) 
  • NOBE - Notice Of Basic Eligibility (DD Form 2384) National Guard or Reserve members 
  • Letter from Commanding Officer (or Education Office) for Active Duty Military 
  • Students receiving Chapter 35 Survivor/Dependents benefits must submit Letter of Eligibility (VA Form 20-8992) or confirmation letter from VA for dependent eligibility  
  • Application for Degree or Certificate program - sent to Admissions 
  • All students must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program to qualify for benefits

VA Forms: all forms can be submitted directly to the VA on the VA website.

  • VA Form 22-1990 Initial Application for VA Educational Benefits/Application to elect Chapter 33 
  • VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training - (for transfer students to change school info/update info/or personal info) 
  • VA Form 22-5490 Initial Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (for spouse or dependent of military member or killed during active duty) 
  • VA Form 22-5495 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training/Survivors and Dependents Education Assist

Procedure to Follow Each Semester:

  • Notify VBC in the Registrar's Office every semester once you have registered for classes. VBC certifies students every semester with the VA for the number of credits registered. If student does not contact the VBC at UMass Lowell, he or she will not be certified for benefits with the VA. 
  • Verify enrollment with the VA at the end of each month, either by using WAVE (Web Activated Verification of Enrollment) on the VA website or by calling the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) phone line at 877-823-2378. Benefits checks will not be issued if student fails to verify with the VA each month during the term.

New Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Chapter 33:

  • Log onto VONAPP (veteran's online application website)
  • Fill out VA form 22-1990 and submit to VA - include copies of all DD214s
  • VA reviews application & issues Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • Submit copy of COE to VBC at school
  • Chapter 33 benefits cannot be certified by school without COE
  • Tuition & Fees are issued directly to school at prorated amount based on students' benefit level
  • Monthly housing allowance is paid directly to student at prorated amount
  • Books & Supplies stipend is paid directly to student at prorated amount
  • Kicker/College Fund benefits (if qualified) are issued to student in addition to BAH 

Special Notes

  • Once a student is certified for a school term by school, it can take four to six weeks to receive a check from the VA.
  • Please contact the VA directly if you have not received your checks or have questions regarding your benefits at 888-442-4551.
  • Check the VA website for payment rates and other information.