Educational and vocational counseling is provided for eligible service members and veterans. The outcome of this counseling is assistance in the selection of an educational or vocational goal and/or assistance in the selection of training institutions where this goal may be pursued. 
To receive an evaluation for VR&E services, a veteran must:

  • have received or will receive a discharge that is other than dishonorable,
  • have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent, and
  • submit a completed application for VR&E services. 
The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the latter of the following:
  • date of separation from active military service, or
  • date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating.

Free counseling services are provided to eligible applicants. Call the nationwide toll-free number, 800-827-1000, to request VA Form 28-8832, Application for Vocational Educational Counseling.

If you would like additional information on any of the VA Education programs, please contact the nearest Regional VA Benefits Office or call our national toll-free number at 800-827-1000.

Procedure to follow once veteran has met with VA counselor:

  • Student should apply for a degree or certificate program with school.  
  • Applications can be obtained on UMass Lowell website.
  • VA counselor will issue an Authorization Form (VA Form 28-1905) each term. 
  • Authorization usually covers tuition, fees, bookstore purchases.
  • Forms can be faxed to 978-934-4076.
  • Students should contact VBC each term when they have registered for classes.
  • Each term VBC will pull students schedules and certify student for number of credits the student is registered for and send certification to VA counselor.
  • UMass Lowell will then send a bill to Voch Rehab for each term student is registered.