Experimental Economics, Environmental Economics, Public Policy
Experimental Economics; Cooperation; Institutions; Behavioral Economics.
- Ph.D.: Economics, (2007), University of Colorado Boulder - Boulder, CO
- MA: Economics, (2004), University of Colorado Boulder - Boulder, CO
- BS: Business, (2001), University of New Hampshire Durham - Durham, NH
David Kingsley is a behavioral economist who investigates strategic decision making using lab experiments. Much of his work considers decision making within social dilemmas –public goods and common pool resources. Such markets often fail because what is in the self-interest of the individual is at odds with what is in the interest of the group. His research explores the types of institutions (rules) groups are willing to self-impose to induce cooperative behavior. His research has been funded by the U.S. Forest Service and the International Foundation for Research in Experimental Economics and has been published in the Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Applied Economics Letters, Journal of Public Economics, Land Economics, Economics Bulletin, Journal of Environmental Economics Policy and Economics Letters.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Departmental Teaching Award (2012), Teaching - University of Massachusetts Lowell Department of Economics
- Kingsley, D., Ciuchta, M. (). Self-serving bias across strategic and non-strategic dictator games with production. Applied Economics Letters, DOI: 10.1080/13504851.2020.1798338.
- Kingsley, D., Muise, D. (2018). More Talk, Less Need for Monitoring: Communication and Deterrence in a Public Good Game. Journal of Experimental Political Science, 5(2) 88--106.
- Kingsley, D.C., Brown, T.C. (2016). Endogenous and costly institutional deterrence in a public good experiment. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 62 33-41.
- Kingsley, D.C. (2016). Endowment Heterogeneity and Peer Punishment in a Public Good Experiment: Cooperation and Normative Conflict. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 60 49-61.
- Kingsley, D.C. (2015). Peer Punishment Across Payoff Equivalent Public Good and Common Pool Resource Experiments. Journal of the Economic Science Association, 1(2) 197-204.
- McDonough, C.C., Kingsley, D.C. (2015). The Impact of Mobile Broadband on the Digital Divide Affecting Older Adults. International Telecommunications Policy Review, 22(2) 27-42.
- Kingsley, D., Brown, T.C. (2015). Endogenous and Costly Institutional Deterrence. Applied Economics Letters, 22(7) 544-548.
- Kingsley, D.C., Liu, B. (2014). Cooperation Across Payoff Equivalent Public Good and Common Pool Resource Experiments. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 51 79-84.
- Kingsley, D.C., Brown, T.C. (2013). Non-Market Valuation and Paired Comparison Experiments: A test of robustness. Journal of Environmental Economic Policy, 2(2) 119-132.
- Kingsley, D.C., Brown, T.C. (2013). Value Learning and the Willingness to Pay - Willingness to Accept Disparity. Economics Letters, 120(3) 473-476.
- Kingsley, D.C., Brown, T.C. (2012). Does Prompting for Revision Influence Subjects' Offers in Willingness to Accept-Willingness to Pay Lab Experiments? Economics Bulletin, 32(3) 2580-2585.
- Kingsley, D.C., Brown, T.C. (2010). Preference Uncertainty, Preference Learning, and Paired Comparison Experiments. Land Economics, 86(3) 530-544.
- Brown, T.C., Kingsley, D.C., Peterson, G.L., Flores, N.E., Clarke, A., Birjulin, A. (2008). Reliability of Individual Valuations of Public and Private Goods: Choice Consistency, Response Time, and Preference Refinement. Journal of Public Economics, 92(7) 1595-1606.
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- University of Massachusetts Lowell Seed Grant (), Grant - University of Massachusetts Lowell
Kingsley, D. (Co-Principal), Tran, N. (Co-Principal), Liu, B. (Co-Principal)
- USDA Forest Service grant 10-CR-11221636-255 (), Grant - USDA Forest Service
Kingsley, D. (Co-Principal), Brown, T. (Co-Principal)
- Experimental Games in Entrepreneurial Finance (), Grant - University of Massachusetts Lowell
Ciuchta, M. (Co-Principal), Kingsley, D. (Co-Principal)
- Formal versus Informal Sanctioning Institutions in Public Goods Games: Endogenous (2014), Grant -
Kingsley, D. (Principal)
- Preference Learning and Individual Values (2010), -
Kingsley, D. (Principal)